Recommended 1st live-aboard for ..........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Look hard at CoCoView www.cocoviewresort.com, under $900 and you can make 6 a day, but most likely you'll flop into bed after 5.
I have got to try CoCoView. Everybody I've talked to that's been there has good things to say about the place.
Luke

Scubagolf:
I'm retiring in two months (at a pretty youthful 55), and I would like to do a week-long live-aboard next year in the Carribean. My non-diver wife will stay at home in California, and I'm only interested in doing some intensive diving. I have only 40 dives in 3 years to date since OW certification.

Can anybody suggest a good live-aboard operator in the Carribean/Bahamas, etc. for someone like me? I do like a little luxury, and the availability of a single room would be a definite plus.
I think the Belize Aggressor would fit your needs. On my last trip on it, there was a women with ZERO dives post certification. She had a blast, as the rest of us took turns (with the DMs) being her buddy.

As long as you have good buoyancy, Belize is very easy IMHO. The tops of the reef is in 25 to 40 feet, then there is a wall going down to "too deep to dive." Therefore, as long as you are comfortable on a wall, you will be fine. There is little current, and all dives are from the main boat (as opposed to tenders).

The single supplement is pretty steep, but I don't know what you plan to spend so it may be OK for you.

The food on the Juliet was very good. The crew is GREAT !!! You bring your own towel, but there is a warm shower on deck to rinse off in after each dive. Snacks available. I don't remember about outlets, I used film and non-rechargable batteries. They only take 12 people per trip max. Wine, beer and liquor available, but one drink and you are done diving.

Another vote for the Cayman Aggressor. One of their best boats and crew, and Bloody Bay Wall is some of the best diving I've seen.

This is an interesting comparison between liveaboards.

All the best, James

PS: every Aggressor we've been on was staffed with a CIA graduateas the chef!

I have never been on a live-aboard but have been checking them out lately. I am tempted to make a reservation on the Nekton pilot for the cay sal bank bahama's trip. I am rather hesitant though, as $1800 not including air fare to florida is a large chunk of money for me.

I just did the Caribbean Explorer 1 out Georgetown in the Bahamas. Its a bit of a hassle to get to but once your there everything is taken care of. Most of the crew was from the UK, the meals were fantastic and plentiful. The diving was mostly walls, we dove nitrox almost the entire trip. The water temp was 82 the entire time with vis in the 100ft range. The price wasn't bad either at 1195 with a shared bath or 1395 with a private bath. The only thing I'd change is I'd go in the winter because they get more pelagics when the water temp gets a little cooler. If you have any more questions PM me.

Fdog - Thanks for that great link with the reviews! I'm seriously looking into booking on the Aggressor in the Caymans, and that review has really helped ease any concerns I may have had.

Hey other newbies - this is more proof that the search function works and you don't have to post a new topic with all your (allready) answered questions!

Why not the Maldives? Its got one of Asia's best dive locations, world class resorts and liveaboards... We can offer you USD 140 per person perday on a luxurious liveaboard inclusive of full board accomodation and 3 dives per day per person with a PADI certified dive master.
I strongly recommend you to try the Maldives for a difference, I bet you wouldnt regret.

Back
Top Bottom