Recommendations needed: Koh Samui AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markusde

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to Thailand on March 1, my plan is to be a few days in Koh Samui and then move on to another island.

Can anyone recommend a dive base on Koh Samui to do my AOW? Also, how is general water quality and underwater life in Samui? I have heard that on parts of the island visibility is low.

Alternatively, apart from Samui, where in Thailand is your favourite dive site?

Thanks,
Markus

Hi Markus,

Have a look at my website, as listed below. I live on Samui and the dive sites we use are usually the dive sites around Koh Tao.
The sites are in good condition right and visibility is fair. My favorite site in the Gulf is Sail Rock, between Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.

Hi Markus,

I'm sure limbo can sort you out for all your diving needs on Samui.

A little biassed maybe, but my favourite area for diving Thailand is the west coast. When you've done in Samui, drop us a line and pop over to Krabi for your next adventure.:D

It depends on what you're looking for besides diving. The Samui dive shops use mainly the Koh Tao dive sites or Sail Rock. On Samui there's a bigger variety of things to do besides or after the diving, compared to Koh Tao.

Feel free to PM me for mre information.

Also, how is general water quality and underwater life in Samui?....where in Thailand is your favourite dive site? Markus

Koh Samui's best dive site is undoubtedly "Sail Rock". "Sail Rock" has lots of fish life, good nudibranchs, shells and oysters, black coral (with razor-back shrimps), anemones, moray eels and other creatures to offer. Conditions vary from day to day but even on a day when the visibility isn't all that great it still makes for an excellent dive.

Some of Koh Samui's dive operators will be able to take you to Koh Tao's best dive sites as well including "Chumpon Pinnacles".

Once you have your belly full of diving the Gulf I highly recommend you to take a trip to the West Coast and visit either Krabi, Phi-Phi and/or Phuket. The diving is very varied and colorful and there is a much larger variety of marine life in the Andaman Sea than in the Gulf. Also, March and April is the prime-time to dive the West Coast with often excellent dive conditions and very calm seas.

Sail rock is amazing, i think probably the best in the region.

There's a few schools who go to Sail Rock from Koh Tao but From Samui you have a much better chance to get there often and still see everything Koh Tao has to offer in Diving as well.

I've never dived with anyone from Samui but we see their speed boats around the sites, from what i've seen it looks like a nice way to go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom