Recommendations for scissors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timotheus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know what type of scissors are best to carry in my thigh pocket? I have some of those "paramedic" scissors in my save-a-dive box that I've used to cut harness webbing and such - should I get another pair of those to bring on dives?

Timotheus:
Does anyone know what type of scissors are best to carry in my thigh pocket? I have some of those "paramedic" scissors in my save-a-dive box that I've used to cut harness webbing and such - should I get another pair of those to bring on dives?

I bought a set from a dive shop with a webbing pouch and velcro closure for about $12 CAN, although I have seen them in certain LDS for more. I keep them in left pocket attached by a bolt snap. I think they're standard penny scissors, likely same as Paramedic snips.
Michael

Beware of cheap scissors. They can/ will rust.

EMT shears work really well. They cut anything, including metal.

My scissors are made by Almedic Surgical Instruments. Best German stainless steel. Yeah Baby. :D

PfcAJ:

But they are cheap to replace. I use a 4 Euro (5 Dollar) medical scissors from a outdoor shop. If they have rust after a year I just buy a new one

PfcAJ:

I just checked my Sea Snips shears and you are correct, they've began rusting at the pivot point. They move OK now but who know's how long that will last.

And to think they've only lasted a couple of years and some 300+ freshwater dives. YMMV

many of the lower $$ shears are stainless steel, but the rivot isn't. That is where rust will start. Just clean regularly and spray with silicone (wd-40?) and wipe off the excess.

My wife gets them free from the hospital she works at in her ER. All stainless including the rivot. I then use a AA Mini-Maglite sheeth for my belt to hold em. Works great and I can always find a spot to put a new maglite in the house or car!

bjpell,

Gotta wonder...The high cost of medical care and the "free shears" your wife gets you? I think I see a cost savings opportunity!:D

And what's up with rusting rivets on shears? How much more could it cost to put in a stainless one!!!

Jon

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom