Recommendations for scissors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up a pair of shears at Horbor Freight today. They were $3.99, don't seem to stick to a magnet and have fairly large, but not gigantic finger holes. They are called "Super Shears" and are part number P36900

Hmmmm...the ones my HF had were steel. I know this because I went there to buy magnets, for building my rigs roll cage with, and when wandering to the front of the store I saw them and went "Oh cool, I need these shears" to find out very quickly they stuck to the powerfull magnets. BTW your part number does not jive on either of their websites. Hopefully your pair works for you.

My prior post about the HF shears was wrong. The thing to which the shears would not stick turned out not to be a manget after all. They stuck to a real magnet just fine. They will therefore rust. Sorry for any mis-info.

Jon C:
bjpell,

Gotta wonder...The high cost of medical care and the "free shears" your wife gets you? I think I see a cost savings opportunity!:D

And what's up with rusting rivets on shears? How much more could it cost to put in a stainless one!!!

Jon

They rust because of dissimilar corrosion, many metals have bad reactions when in contact with another metal, and begin to corrode. Also when two metals are in contact and in motion against each other, they are slightly etched and this allows moisture onto the bare metal beneath the corrosion resistant coating found on many metals.

Hope this helps..

Jon C,

Yeah, i hear ya! Lots of stuff there gets chucked after being used once. Such as sutcher kits that have stainless hemostats and scissors... Kinda sad, they just need to be properly cleaned of all body fluids (sterilize em) and they are great for fishing, and in my tool box.

best,
ben

Reinoud:
But they are cheap to replace. I use a 4 Euro (5 Dollar) medical scissors from a outdoor shop. If they have rust after a year I just buy a new one

Next time you're in the Gamma take a look at their gardening stuff. I bought a pair of SS gardening scissors like RockPile suggested for less than 10 Euros. To me they look a lot sturdier than EMT scissors. I'm sure I could cut through anything with these but I wouldn't have the same confidence with EMT shears.

R..

Diver0001:
Next time you're in the Gamma take a look at their gardening stuff. I bought a pair of SS gardening scissors like RockPile suggested for less than 10 Euros. To me they look a lot sturdier than EMT scissors. I'm sure I could cut through anything with these but I wouldn't have the same confidence with EMT shears.

R..

I've seen EMT shears cut through steel cable (wrecked the shears but it worked), and they are much cheaper than gardening shears. Same concept as the cheap dive knife, you don't care when you lose them.

A

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom