Recommendations for pony bottle/regulator set up for solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone could give me an advice ? Does anyone will get the reg from the pony and put it on a necklace around the neck or you leave it snug in the pony (under arm). For you information this is for solo diving not with a buddy.

Does anyone could give me an advice ? Does anyone will get the reg from the pony and put it on a necklace around the neck or you leave it snug in the pony (under arm). For you information this is for solo diving not with a buddy.
This all depends on your entire rig setup.
1) pony on a necklace - this would mean you only have 1 2nd stage on your reg and the pony is your backup. This works great if you only solo. Your pony bottle is likely back mounted with this option.
2) snug to bottle - you have a normal rig with 2 2nds. 1 primary, 1 backup likely on a necklace. You only pull your pony reg off the bottle when needed or training

This all depends on your entire rig setup.
1) pony on a necklace - this would mean you only have 1 2nd stage on your reg and the pony is your backup. This works great if you only solo. Your pony bottle is likely back mounted with this option.
2) snug to bottle - you have a normal rig with 2 2nds. 1 primary, 1 backup likely on a necklace. You only pull your pony reg off the bottle when needed or training
For a refreshing change, I largely agree with @Boarderguy

I only use my pony for solo and take “option 2”. It’s bulky and heavy but I like having it all accessible and removable. Also allows a tidy button gauge screwed into the primary rather than another hose dangling.

I keep it easy, or I am just too lazy to change things over when I go solo:​
A - Have a primary and an octo on main Reg.​
B - Have a 2nd stage on a necklace with a button gauge on a 19L pony that is back slung with a 3 lb counter weight on the right side for solo.​
I would suggest you try a couple configurations as I learned a lot on placement and weight balance as I tried it slung as well as left and right side back mount.​

I keep it easy, or I am just too lazy to change things over when I go solo:​
A - Have a primary and an octo on main Reg.​
B - Have a 2nd stage on a necklace with a button gauge on a 19L pony that is back slung with a 3 lb counter weight on the right side for solo.​
Mine is the same - 19cf pony back-mounted on my left side, 3 lb. counter weight on the right, button gauge, 2nd on a necklace. I use the Highland pony mount (size 4.4" fits 13cf & 19cf) sold by XS Scuba on Amazon, and like it a lot.

I am just too lazy to change things over when I go solo
Lazy is why I have a long hose (primary donate) and necklaced backup on the backmounted first stage (i.e., a normal rec config) and for solo just add a slung pony with a second stage on the bottle. (This is assuming I'm not on doubles or sidemount in the first place.) Plus, the backup second stage (on backgas) handles some failures without resorting to the pony.

The pony deployment is not a "I need it this instant" kind of thing. Even a low pressure hose failure has ample time to switch.

I run an AL40 slung across my chest with the valve on my left chest and the base on my right hip. Reg goes in a necklace.

The biggest headache I have had is that the mouthpiece doesn't stay in the necklace as well as I would like, and with a hood on with a GoPro mounted to it and a mask over it, resetting is a royal PITA. Mostly it is a function of getting it rigged right before I splash. Even if the reg does come out of the necklace, it's much easier to find than the primary mouthpiece because the valve is right in front of me.

90% of the time it works fine and I don't even notice it's there.

check it out, where is it

212 ZZ67388381829_n (4).jpg

there it is, oops I forgot

Back
Top Bottom