Recommendations for pony bottle/regulator set up for solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I strongly prefer to sling rather than backmount pony bottles for a number of reasons you can read about in other threads.

@Robert H. Diver nailed it.

I have 19, 40, and 80 cf tanks rigged to sling. I use the 40 and the 80s far more often than the 19. The 19 isn't really easier to carry than the 40. Even for really shallow solo stuff (think 30 foot shore dives) I still usually choose to bring the 40 if things are hairy (work, entanglements, etc) or in mild conditions not bring a pony at all since the surface is so close. For anything deep the 80cf isn't much more drag or hassle than the 40 and provides twice the air. But at that point I would perfer to be in doubles. Do consider doubles. Doubles are great.

HOWEVER I'm a big believer that "nobody every died bringing too much air" and I don't mind lugging heavy gear. I, and many others on this forum, trend towards carrying larger pony bottles than necessary. If you want a lighter rig and are more likely to actually carry the little 19 then it's fine; still plenty of gas for most diving.

The first decision is size of tank, I suggest you take your worst ever SAC rate and calculate the volume of gas you will need from your deepest intended dive and add 10'. Personally I have a 120' hard bottom that I don't go beyond or my pony will not get me back if SHTF. I say to use your worst SAC because when SHTF your SAC will diminish significantly. Now that you have size, then consider smaller tanks for shorter dives. The pony serves no purpose if left in the car, so carry what your dive requires and always carry one. Next you need to consider how you will carry said pony. Personally I dive single tank and back mount next to primary, I find it easier to manage and out of the way. If you have a BP/W you can side sling or front sling them as well. Your regs should be as good or better than your alternate second. In fact, I removed my alternate second and used it on my pony. You will get lots of suggestions here, but you need to determine your requirements and what you are comfortable with managing for every dive.

The other consideration before you buy a pony is your SAC/RMV. You really need to know it to make an informed decision on how much air you would need for a given dive or bailout. A solo course should get you to calculate those, and then you can make some predictions about what you'll need.

You also have to factor in the absence of assistance. If your tank is tangled in fishing line and you're buddy diving, that could be anywhere from a small problem to a major one. In the same situation solo, you are in an immediate life threatening situation that you have to extricate yourself from. How is that going to affect your air consumption? Would you feel comfortable in that situation if you were on a spare air at 10 feet? I wouldn't...

I dive a 3L bailout down to 20m max. That’s about 50bar out of a 12L tank.

Not much but it’ll get you up from there.

That's a great way to explain the limitations of a 3 litre PONY. It's the equivalent of just 50 bar / 750 PSI from your main tank. Now look at how quickly you get through that gas; then think about being stressed and scared...

Since this is a pony thread I want to give a big thank you to @-JD- for his recommendation to put a bungy from the backplate to around the tank valve. For a 19 cuft pony side slung this is a huge improvement over no bungy or a bungy from the shoulder D ring. Attached is a picture of the location

Attachments

• EF697221-455F-4528-8367-DCBAA2E5515E.jpeg
    EF697221-455F-4528-8367-DCBAA2E5515E.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 141
That's a great way to explain the limitations of a 3 litre PONY. It's the equivalent of just 50 bar / 750 PSI from your main tank. Now look at how quickly you get through that gas; then think about being stressed and scared...
Or think about…one reg blows and you, cool as anything (because you’re within plaamooks recommended depth limit for a 3L) , start ascending, swap regs, launch an SMB if applicable or possible (if you’re pissing air, use it on the smb) and safely surface feeling really enthusiastic about a long surface swim. 😃

Since this is a pony thread I want to give a big thank you to @-JD- for his recommendation to put a bungy from the backplate to around the tank valve. For a 19 cuft pony side slung this is a huge improvement over no bungy or a bungy from the shoulder D ring. Attached is a picture of the location
So, how does that work? Over your shoulder or under your arm?
Have any photos with it securing the pony?

My $0.02 is don’t listen to any of us. An Al 40 is my personal preference cause it holds a good amount of gas, is easy to find when you travel, and can be used when you get into deco.

But at the end of the day don’t even listen to me. Wait till your class and let your instructor tell you what to get. Moving to a stage/buddy bottle can be a big adventure for ow divers. As an example, clipping a stage to bp/w is universally easier than in a poodle jacket. Wait till class so you’re not buying the wrong thing then rebuying.

So, how does that work? Over your shoulder or under your arm?
Have any photos with it securing the pony?
Under the shoulder. Attach one of these to the bungee to adjust the tension. Essentially the bungee tucks the valve into the armpit really securely. No more dangling Pony. More well behaved Pony.

Back
Top Bottom