Recommendations for Nautilus/lifeline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why did they eliminate the voice communications feature in the newer model? It seems to me that it is a great feature.

Because the law changed and all VHS Marine radios, including handheld, now need to be able to receive DSC automated emergency messages, as well as send them. Nautilus couldn't make that happen and still be small enough to stow in a pocket.

Because the law changed and all VHS Marine radios, including handheld, now need to be able to receive DSC automated emergency messages, as well as send them. Nautilus couldn't make that happen and still be small enough to stow in a pocket.

That's too bad.

Anyone out there makes the same product with voice communications capability even if it is bigger?

I have the original Nautilus. Fortunately, I have never had to use it. I bought a nylon dive belt to keep it strapped around my chest. The main thing is making sure it's charged before each use.

At the risk of re-opening old threads, the question is where are you diving, and are there DSC or AIS equipped vessels in the area? If there are then Nautilus Life Line sounds like a great idea, if there aren’t then the Nautilus lifeline or similar devices will not do you much good.

I understood the voice aspect was mainly eliminated because of varying MMSI licensing requirements in all the different countries.
From their website:
Why did production stop on Nautilus Radio?
Unfortunately, we had no choice but to shut down production on the original Nautilus Radio. US authorities have banned single transceiver handheld radios and the EU changed the CE technical requirements for this class of radio. The problem with the MMSI numbers was also a major hurdle. As well, there were tremendous difficulties with manufacturing in China. For the newer Nautilus GPS, manufacturing is being done right here in Canada.​
You can purchase quite small Marine VHF (voice) radios, and put them in a waterproof canister of the kind used to hold PLBs. You are supposed to be licensed to use these radios.
You can purchase the original Lifelines with voice VHF now and then, at inflated prices over the original new price.

We have the original unit. I just read through some instructions from DiveHatteras website and found them helpful. The most helpful was the reminder to do a pre-dive check by clicking the orange button 3 times quickly to get a message of "Good to go" before you close the unit and go diving.

That’s one of signaling devices I carry whenever I dive in the Ocean, like Socorro, Cocos, Malpelo, Galápagos, Palau, etc.

8CB36B14-175F-490A-AF49-728C18DB5DAB.jpeg

If people want voice communications, one option is the Garmin inReach Mini with the optional Dive Case -- together around $400 on Amazon, plus requires a subscription to communicate on the network: Garmin inReach® Satellite Communication | Garmin | United States
I guess you've never been on a small boat in the Philippines or Indonesia. Their communications MIGHT be VHF radio, but more likely just cell phone with each other. Forget the fancy stuff like the internet and the InReach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom