Recommendations for Mouthpiece Retaining Devices for IWR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lv2dive

Formerly known as KatePNAtl
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
At TEKDiveUSA 2018, during the IWR Expert Diving Medicine Committee Opinion presentation, mouthpiece retaining devices were discussed as a viable alternative to full face masks (for IWR). No specific brands were mentioned, however, and I would be curious as to opinions on current options for mouthpiece retaining devices.

I think the drager gag straps are really the only good option for that. I haven't seen any others really out there.
I put a switch block on my FFM with a QC6 though so it is now compatible with my rebreather b/o bottles and think it's one of the better ways to go. The plan for it is to have it ready to go on a bp/w with a single tank of air/nitrox for the air breaks and a bunch of lead to keep the diver down. Plug in rich mixes as needed/available.

With so many of us on CCR's though I'm seriously considering making a chest mount small ccr for it. Follow the deco ccr concept used by some of the guys on the big exploration teams and use something like that

From chats I heard after the session, and a variation of this question being asked (during the session, as I was typing the OP up for ScubaBoard), I think a lot of people are interested in options for mouthpiece retaining devices as opposed to full face masks. While full face masks are obviously one way to go, I'd rather keep this discussion focused on mouthpiece retaining device options.

So - the Drager gag strap is one option. Thanks for that. Pro's, con's?

rEvo has theirs. Pretty much a direct copy of the Drager. I remember reading somewhere that they even bought tooling from Drager but I don't remember where I saw that.

From chats I heard after the session, and a variation of this question being asked (during the session, as I was typing the OP up for ScubaBoard), I think a lot of people are interested in options for mouthpiece retaining devices as opposed to full face masks. While full face masks are obviously one way to go, I'd rather keep this discussion focused on mouthpiece retaining device options.

So - the Drager gag strap is one option. Thanks for that. Pro's, con's?

it may not fit all mouthpieces because it's designed for one with a pretty big bore. You can probably get it to work though.

One point that I'm not sure if they addressed or not is that you'll still need a switch block of some variety for them to be able to switch back to air/nitrox.

most of ours old scuba had such mouthpieces
p2-7.jpg
AVM-1m_-_kopija1.jpg

it has two Пукля (like plastic pin) and head rubber webbing
P1090530.jpg P1090529.jpg Serg1 (1).jpg Serg1 (2).jpg

h-3286.jpg

h-3284.jpg

Simon Mitchell mentioned the Draeger straps by name in his talk later in the day. Other than those the only ones I know of are the Revo ones.

Just use 2 or 3 mil bungee for the reg necklace.
Tie a knot on both ends of the bungee and attach it to the reg by running under the zip tie holding the mouth piece on. If you need retention just grab one or both knots to pull the bungee through, shortening the necklace and putting tension on it to hold the reg in place. Very similar to the photos of the device above but adjustable, mid-dive. Plus, very cheap and simple.

I have a drager one mouthpiece on my Meg - its identical to the Revo version.

A couple of issues with them:
1) the bite wings on the side are "fatter" than a regular mouthpiece. I believe the reason for this in drager's mind was to keep your teeth apart for better gas flow and possibly to avoid biting through the wings if you were to tox in it.

2) the bore is a bit bigger so it can be hard to fit on some regs/DSVs

3) the big bite wings make me gag on dry land, for whatever reason I don't notice in the water. But they make prebreathing a challenge.

4) they are insanely expensive (~$140 USD) in the States.

When the straps are snugged down it seals pretty good. And on a CCR where I can switch my BOV to do a gas break it works pretty well. Not sure if its as good an OC option because your mask strap can be dislodged when switching regs. I put the drager strap under the mask strap and loosen the drager so it hangs under my chin to put a different reg in my mouth.

Just use 2 or 3 mil bungee for the reg necklace.
Tie a knot on both ends of the bungee and attach it to the reg by running under the zip tie holding the mouth piece on. If you need retention just grab one or both knots to pull the bungee through, shortening the necklace and putting tension on it to hold the reg in place. Very similar to the photos of the device above but adjustable, mid-dive. Plus, very cheap and simple.

The issue isn't simple reg retention, it's preventing or limiting water ingress during a seizure. A simple bungee necklace like you'd use on an OC second stage is inadequate for preventing water ingress into your airway/rebreather loop. The Drager/Revo gag straps limit water ingress. That's the important part.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom