Recommendations for Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaK-Dawg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My wife and I are arriving in Maui tomorrow for a week (staying in Kaanapali). We’ll be diving 1 or 2 days, any recommendations for the best dive spot/s and a good dive operation to use in the Kaanapali area?

Check out this thread... most of us are in trouple for throwing sand at the beach because of threads like this...

Frick guys... I don't think people are upset with people asking for info, and I don't think we're all this unfriendly. If you don't feel like answering, just don't.

Ka'anapali area? That depends... where are you staying?

You should consider diving Black Rock... most people rave about it (though I have yet to dive it).

You're also close to Lahaina, making it easy to pick up a boat ride with Lahaina Divers or Extended Horizons over to Lanai (or even to Molokini, if you don't have a rental car to take down to Kihei).

Generally, the 5-Star Scuba kiosks have seen some great improvement in the last couple months... but I'm not sure at which resorts they are specifically.

fishb0y:
... most of us are in trouple for throwing sand at the beach because of threads like this...

[small hijack]Nah, not for threads/posts/questions like this....it is just one liner responses like:

"Try shop xyz, they(actually we, I'm just posting in-cog-neet-o, for free advertising) a great shop - try them out"

kind of posts that are not too welcome (not against the ToS - I'd never delete them, just frowned upon by the majority of the SB members and get reported often ) - it makes people suspicious and defeats the one liners purpose :wink:

Then there are the threads that are stated by a dive op that tell how great they are - those are against the ToS and will be deleted.

It's not a problem to post if you have a good suggestion. Some people were just tired of posting the same suggestions again and again and then there are some people that are seldom here to give their valued advice - hence the Local Reference forum was born. In the end, you can post all you want or refer to the collected data...being helpful is the name of the game :wink: [/hijack]

As for me, I don't know Maui.....at all :(, hoping to change that soon though.

I'm sure some of the regulars will show up soon to give their 2 or more ¢ - until then, like Fishb0y suggests, skim over the insider information thread for dive sites in the local reference forum of the Ohana. It will give you a bit of an idea of what there is over there. The shop recommendation thread is in the making :wink:

Aloha and enjoy your vacation :D

For Shore Diving near Kaanapali there are a lot of options - Black Rock, as KrisB mentioned is great - also a great night dive site; Mala Warf is a favorite of a lot of visitors; Airport Beach (First traffic light north of Kaanapali) happens to be my favorite relaxing site; Honolua Bay at the north end of the island (10 miles north of Kaanapali???) is another really nice spot when the conditions permit. All of these sites are relatively shallow allowing for long dives. If you are looking for more challenging sites I'd ask at Pacific Dive or one of the other owner staffed shops.

You are welcome to PM me for info too - I'd offer to take ya' diving, but a wonderful head-cold is keeping me dry for several days here :'(

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom