Recommendations for lower keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've done Key Largo and Islamorado before, but never the lower keys, and I'm thinking about planning a trip to dive the lower Keys from Big Pine to Key west in the Spring. I'm looking for advice regarding the following:

1. Which dive op?
2. Where to stay?
3. Best dives (wreck and reef)?

Thanks in advance.

For nightlife etc. - Key West is the place to stay (but not the best to dive) - I would stay in Key West and drive each morning to Looe Key (Big Pine) which is about 20 miles up the road and find an operator who takes you to see the Adolphus Busch (Wreck) and then the Loee Key Marine sanctuary for reefs.
Never actually dived in Key West, but I heard it was not great - maybe someone can post about any decent dive sites there if they've found any.

I don't know really which operator - I went with Looe Key Reef Resort dive center just before Christmas - they do a 3 tank dive on a Sat and Wed BUT the boat is full of snorkellers so they try and limit your wreck dive to a ridiculously short time (as the snorkellers stay on the boat getting seasick while your diving) and they don't do Nitrox...so if you are in a group with non-divers who want to snorkel, this op could be ok for you - if you want to be on a dive boat, it is not so great.

stu_in_fl:
For nightlife etc. - Key West is the place to stay (but not the best to dive) - I would stay in Key West and drive each morning to Looe Key (Big Pine) which is about 20 miles up the road and find an operator who takes you to see the Adolphus Busch (Wreck) and then the Loee Key Marine sanctuary for reefs.
Never actually dived in Key West, but I heard it was not great - maybe someone can post about any decent dive sites there if they've found any.

I don't know really which operator - I went with Looe Key Reef Resort dive center just before Christmas - they do a 3 tank dive on a Sat and Wed BUT the boat is full of snorkellers so they try and limit your wreck dive to a ridiculously short time (as the snorkellers stay on the boat getting seasick while your diving) and they don't do Nitrox...so if you are in a group with non-divers who want to snorkel, this op could be ok for you - if you want to be on a dive boat, it is not so great.

We are all divers (not snorkelers), so we'd prefer dedicated dive ops. No fun coming back to puking snorkelers. And availability of Nitrox is desirable, but not required.

Thanks for the Looe Key recommendation - I've heard its very nice.

Wreckreation Charters is located at the Cudjoe Key Marina, a couple of blocks behind the Sheriff's substation at mile marker 21 oceanside. Rachel (a fellow ScubaBoarder) owns and operates a small shop (nitrox available) and a six passenger Privateer. I like diving Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary and the wreck of the Adolphus Busch. Enjoy!

KeyLargoBrent:
Wreckreation Charters is located at the Cudjoe Key Marina, a couple of blocks behind the Sheriff's substation at mile marker 21 oceanside. Rachel (a fellow ScubaBoarder) owns and operates a small shop (nitrox available) and a six passenger Privateer. I like diving Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary and the wreck of the Adolphus Busch. Enjoy!

Thanks K-L-B, I will check her out!

Hi!!

I'm Wreckreation Charters and I'd be more than happy to talk to you about diving Looe and the Busch.

Right now I'm recommending Parmer's Resort for lodging.

Rachel

biscuit7:
Hi!!

I'm Wreckreation Charters and I'd be more than happy to talk to you about diving Looe and the Busch.

Right now I'm recommending Parmer's Resort for lodging.

Rachel

Thanks Rachel - we'll be in touch when we have a better handle on when we are going. Always happy to give business to fellow SBers.

Hey Rachel - do you have a website with details of where you are and phone number etc. - although I rarely make it down that far, would be nice to know where an actual "dive op" is (rather than the snorkelly thing)

thanks
Stuart

stu_in_fl:
Hey Rachel - do you have a website with details of where you are and phone number etc. - although I rarely make it down that far, would be nice to know where an actual "dive op" is (rather than the snorkelly thing)

thanks
Stuart
Stuart,

Check out my post above for Rachel's location... it's easy to find! She can be reached by phone at 305.515.2750 or online at www.wreckreationcharters.com

Knowing of your penchant for good eats... I'll let you in on a couple of well-kept "secrets" down that way: Mangrove Mama's Cafe on Sugarloaf Key (~mm20 bayside), and the No Name Pub on No Name Key (off of Big Pine ~mm30 bayside). Enjoy!

Hey Stu!

My website is (finally) being worked on so I should have way more info on there in the near future, but Brent gave you my phone number so feel free to contact me with any questions.

Rachel

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom