Recommendations for LDS in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are new to San Diego and looking for a local dive shop. We are not dry suit divers, will eventually want to check out the local diving but also really interested in a shop that plans "exotic" trips for a chance to meet some people from California while diving abroad. The only place I can somewhat compare to what it might be like diving here would be Cabo but I have no idea what to expect other than cold water and kelp?! :confused:
Any suggestions for shops to check out? Thanks!

We are new to San Diego and looking for a local dive shop. We are not dry suit divers, will eventually want to check out the local diving but also really interested in a shop that plans "exotic" trips for a chance to meet some people from California while diving abroad. The only place I can somewhat compare to what it might be like diving here would be Cabo but I have no idea what to expect other than cold water and kelp?! :confused:
Any suggestions for shops to check out? Thanks!

Our dive shops are unfortunately not the best I've encountered. That said, there's still varied quality of service between them. The following are my opinions of the LDS in the area - I'll try to be as objective as I can.

1. Dive California - They're the best of what's around. On Point Loma (near to the dive boat docks), offer a reasonable array of equipment including a small selection of technical gear. Ocean Research Group shares their space and does all of the technical training and gas services in the city. They do organize trips and charters locally and internationally, though I don't use their services in that area. For standard gas fills they are prompt and inexpensive, take their time and ensure you get a good fill every time. Also very good with equipment repairs.

2. San Diego Divers - NAUI/GUE technical training center that also offers technical gas services. Unfortunately they are not in the city and I'm not usually willing to drive all the way up to the Triangle. If you're in the north or east part of the county, I'd probably use them exclusively. If you're in town or south, it's just inconvenient.

3. IB Divers - Smaller operation, I've used their La Jolla location primarily for gas fills. They are vendors for a number of brands that I prefer, but don't have any inventory which makes it easier (and cheaper) to order things online.

4. Everyone else - Lots of small shops that do just fine at gas fills.

5. At the bottom of the stack, we also have your [nameless, I'll let you visit and judge for yourself] standard Aqualung/Scubapro dealer churning out the kind of PADI divers that live up to the stereotype.

There are dive clubs in the area that are very good at planning travel and local diving. You don't need to be a drysuit diver to enjoy San Diego diving (though it helps in the winter months). This is the best time of year to be diving here so definitely plan to get out there and see what's around. I'd stick to planning trips through the clubs and on your own. Keep in mind that the prices that you're getting aren't usually better than you can get on your own (as the organizers trip is being subsidized by everyone who goes) but for the social aspect, the clubs are pretty good if you find one that fits your personality and diving goals.

YMMV, good luck and welcome to San Diego

I remembered seeing a large dive shop in Convoy and Balboa area, called Ocean Enterprise or something like that. I wasn't a diver when I lived San Diego, so never got a chance to use them. Maybe Mathauck0814 can comment on this shop.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and great info mathauck0814! I had done a little research online and came across your top two suggestions along with #5. I'll check them out in person but I'll be closer to the north side of town so it sounds like San Diego Divers would be a good choice!

Addressing your desire for exotic trips filled with local (San Diego) divers. Non-profit Power Scuba, while not a shop, may have what you're jonesing for:
Palau No-Profit Trip: Nov 1-13, 2012. Nine dive days, three dives per day, 27 dives.

~$1,600.00.

(airfare not included.)

Still a few spots open.

Click here for more info.

Bill​

...but also really interested in a shop that plans "exotic" trips for a chance to meet some people from California while diving abroad.

Back
Top Bottom