Recommendations for ladies' warm 5 mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moorish8idol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I am going to need a warmer exposure suit for my next trip to Socorro in December and figure it may be worth in investing in a good one for future use as well. I tend to run very cold on my dives. In warm tropical waters (27-30 C), I wear a 3 mm Bare Nixie (which I love) with hood and only tend to feel comfortable and warm for the whole dive in 30 degrees.

Looking for a 5 mm that is good on keeping you warm but not too bulky and doesn't involve a wrestling match to get on (this is what I love about my Nixie - you just slide in) - I'm 5'7 and thinnish (not skinny) but I have curves so have looked at the Bare Evoke line (also as they say it is extra warm) but it is very pricey and I have seen mixed reviews about it tending to fall apart quickly and pilling on the inside. Also heard good things about Henderson - what are your experiences and recommendations for a good brand for cold ladies? Thanks!

I have the Bare Evoke. I’m hard on my gear and it’s still going good. Get it. I’m curvy and it fits well.

I just bought a Neosport 5mm wetsuit, its quite comfortable and ive read a ton of other peoples reviews and everyone says its very toasty. IT is also very CHEAP, made by Henderson retail is only about $125 They do make it in a ladies cut. I ordered mine from Wetsuit warehouse in MD and they shipped it 2nd day shipping for free.

Please take a look at our womens suits. They include an attached hood and are very warm because there are no zippers to leak. These suits require a suit lube to put them on and it takes about 2 minutes to PREPARE the suit, but once done, you can slip into the suit very easily and with zero struggle.

I should emphasize that these are womens's suits which are cut for women and they use the absolutely BEST neoprene: Yamamoto.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Womens-3D-Reef-Camo-Wetsuit-2-Piece-Open-Cell-p/m2y3drcw.htm

M2Y3DRCW-2T.jpg

womens-yamamoto-3d-reef-camo-wetsuit-high-waist-pants.jpg

Like you, I tend to run cold. Last year I replaced my 5mm Henderson thermoprene with a 5 mm therMaxx. It is much easier to get into than the Thermoprene. It is very warm but also VERY bouyant. I knew a new wetsuit would be more bouyant than a 7 year old suit but I was surprised how much more weight I needed. 1 year on I'm still adding 2 lbs more to my weight pouches.

I love how easy it is to get into and it is warm. However, we're heading to Bonaire in Oct. and I am concerned about shore diving carrying all that extra weight.

When I can afford it I’m getting that Mako wetsuit because, among other reasons, I realized I like two pieces... for going to the bathroom on a boat! I swapped a one piece diveskin for skiers long underwear and a rash guard top for really warm water or layering and it is WAY better and no uncomfortable zipper!

Also you could wear just say the bottoms or top with a rash guard. I am concerned about the doff/don with open cell, but supposedly they are much warmer. I also suspect wearing slippery tights, or at least socks, and a slippery rash guard under might make that easier for Scuba.

Thanks for the comments "Cat". However, you are mistaken about wearing a rash guard under our freedive suits. Those rash guard suits can help a lot with a nylon lined suit, but not for our suits,

There is absolutely no need to do this and it will actually make it harder to slip the suit on. Once the suit is lubricated it is just super easy to slip into it. Any material between your skin and the smooth rubber interior will not be beneficial. People really have to try slipping into one of these suits before they can understand.

Hey Dano. Would it be possible to get a 5 mm top and 3 mm pants? Its my core that typically gets cold and would be slightly less bulk for travel.

Thanks for the comments "Cat". However, you are mistaken about wearing a rash guard under our freedive suits. Those rash guard suits can help a lot with a nylon lined suit, but not for our suits,

There is absolutely no need to do this and it will actually make it harder to slip the suit on. Once the suit is lubricated it is just super easy to slip into it. Any material between your skin and the smooth rubber interior will not be beneficial. People really have to try slipping into one of these suits before they can understand.
Well, even better!

We don't normally mix and match. With 3 different color patterns, 4 different sizes (for women) and 3 different thicknesses it represents a significant inventory challenge if we start to break up our suits.

We generally say that a well fitting 3 mm freedive suit is as warm as a typical 5 mm "scuba" suit that has a nylon lining and zippers and a separate hood.

Thanks very much for the inquiry!

Dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom