Recommendations for DS gloves on a Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the Fusion DS but dislike any of the gloves I have tried to date. I have mostly tried neoprene DS gloves that are thick so they just limit the use of my hands beyond what I like. Has anyone installed and used the ring style on a fusion? If so what did you get for gloves and how flexible are they? I am more than willing to give up some warmth for flexablility. With the style i have now trying to work with anything I'm like a monkey f...ing a football

Your assistance is appreciated.

Regard

there are many threads on the but I can tell you for sure that the viking bayonet ring system works as does the viking classic ring system but its a PITA. Also on the list that I know of is the OS systems rings set. T

I use SI TECH quick clamp rings. No problems so far. Have cut a glove once, and had one pop off the rings just before I went in the water once.

Thanks for the reply's, I will look into those. I wish we had a little more choice in this area for dive shops to try some on. I hope this does not turn into my quest for proper fitting fins.......I have quite a nice collection now though, lol.

I have the Viking bayonet system and I LOVE it. It's ideal for the Fusion, because the suit has such nice, heavy-duty wrist seals. It installs in minutes, and in the event of a leak, you can change gloves at the dive site in a couple of minutes, without any tools. It's a positive lock system, so gloves CAN'T pop off once the rings are closed.

If you don't have a local supplier, Bob3 on this board is a Viking dealer.

I use the regular Viking Rings in cold water, with Marigold Gloves, turned white side out, with wool liners. my hands are warmer than I have ever had them, more flexible, and you can see hand signals more clearly. Another bonus is that the octopi love the gloves!

I am another one with the Viking Bayonet rings on my Fusion and I have to say that they have impressed me. I like them a lot....

Phil

I have no way to try any of these out before buying so thank you for the reply's. For those of you with the Viking Bayonet's, how is the flexability in comparison to a wet glove? Can you compare to say a 3mm or 5mm?I find a 3m to be about as stiff as I can stand. I have some XS Scuba 5mm and find them way to restricting.

Regards

I use the orange Atlas gloves with my Viking rings, and put a pair of cheap polarfleece gloves under them (the kind we can buy in the grocery store in the wintertime here). I have much better dexterity with this setup than with 5 mm wet gloves. The key, I've found, is a) to find the rubber glove that fits YOUR hand properly, so you aren't dealing with a whole bunch of finger length you can't use and that gets in your way, and b) use the thinnest (and therefore most flexible) gloves you can for the applications you have. If you're doing wreck penetrations or lobstering, the orange Atlas gloves won't work; it's too easy to put a pinhole in them. But for my general OW diving in Puget Sound, a pair of orange glove, which costs me about $6 at the local hardware store, lasts me months.

I have never used 3mm wet gloves, but I was using 5mm wet gloves before I went to dry glvoes, and even with the thermal protection under them suitable for 40* water and the Blue Atlas 660's I have much better dexterity with them than I did with the 5mm wet gloves. I have no problem operating even my smaller bolt snaps with them. Liek TSandM says get gloves that fit you with the insulation you are going to wear. I have a few pair of the Blue 660's and the Orange 620's in a few different sizes so that I can change them up if I am going to be diving warmer water and want thinner liners. If there is a lot of extra glove around your fingers it can be hard to operate things...

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom