Recommendations for divemaster course in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do PADI materials in Thailand attract the large duties that most imported goods do? That would increase the cost significantly.

Yes they do, to a degree and recently there has been a new tax introduced for certain materials, so pricing has changed again, not in our advantage.

When I was instructing as an independent it made financial sense to buy all PADI materials from one of the large Instructor Development Centers in the USA. They were nice enough to pass a portion of their discount onto others. It's been awhile since I compared their pricing.

Books and Materials

John

Ref Materials and import.

If the items are sent as seperate components.

Books that are educational ie student mannuals and instructor materials attract ZERO % duty.

DVDS are generally 10-12% duty.

Plastics Ie dive tbles 10% duty

The law hasnt changed of late regarding tarriffs for import for these items.We only imported this week .

Freight can be costly if in small quantity however, plus if the items are grouped together they may attract a higher tarrif.

My understanding with ds is they now pay TAX on books they sell where in the past they sold books as educational and tax free.So only 7% increase should be applied, unless they are covering owed back tax.If thats the case then thats a lot of books and a lot of money needs paying.

I could be wrong but I was told you had to be an official educational facility to sell tax exempt many years ago so always included the 7% for tax bills.

As stated IMPORT remains the same.

Anyhow Question was why the variation on prices , answer depends how many middle men, blaming importers etc is just covering tracks.

Better still manufacture what you can in Thailand its better for everyone.

Incidently we here In Australia that books and pics are lots cheaper and vary from state to to state.

Anyhow Question was why the variation on prices , answer depends how many middle men, blaming importers etc is just covering tracks.

Better still manufacture what you can in Thailand its better for everyone.

Incidently we here In Australia that books and pics are lots cheaper and vary from state to to state.

Agree on the the fact that importers aren't the only players in this game and it would be good if things could be manufactured in Thailand, just don't know how that can be controlled and that may eb an issue with certain agencies. :popcorn:

Agree on the the fact that importers aren't the only players in this game and it would be good if things could be manufactured in Thailand, just don't know how that can be controlled and that may eb an issue with certain agencies. :popcorn:

ANDI setup a country office a couple of years ago in Thailand and they print the manuals and produce cert cards locally. I suspect it just takes some baht and political capital for someone in the Thailand PADI market to work something out.

John

DM course in Thailand.....what a great idea. You will love it.

I did my Instructor test in Kata Beach and came across these guys: Scuba Diving Holiday in Phuket, Thailand

There are many good teaching shops in Thailand. But as you were looking for suggestions, do give these guys a look see. You may like the owner (Tien a Vietnames American that landed in Kata Breach). Prices are all pretty much the same all around. BUt these guys picked me up at the airportm returned me to the airport and carted me around in a very professional manner for a week. Good luck. YOu will love it.

penguintom,
although you had personal bad experiences in Thailand with dive coruses in one single location, that doesn't mean that you can generalise this istuation to all dive shops all over Thailand or SE Asia.

You seem to misunderstand.
I have never said all Thai dive shops are bad, no doubt there are good and bad ones. However my opinion still remains, why spend your holiday doing dive training when I can do the training at home for less money. Then I can spend my next trip to Thailand and just dive and enjoy without having any time restrictions of courses and spending my time away doing pool training and exams.
Just seems a better solution to me, and yes I do have to admit my experiences last year did not exactly fill me with confidence. Hope my forthcoming dive trip to South Thailand goes much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom