Recommendations for Baja coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetvet

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all....Mrs. Wetvet and I are considering going to the Baja coast of Mexico to do some diving in the Sea of Cortez, and/or the Pacific. I am very interested in pelagics, and am thinking of going in early August for this reason. Have been looking on the net, but would be really interested in recommendations from someone who has been there. Should I go in August? Or Sept, or Oct? La Paz, or Loreto, or Cabo San Lucas. Any good dive operations? (or bad).
We are the proud owners of a time share, so if there were good shops around Cabo, that would work easiest, but we are open to anything.

Thanks in advance.

Wetvet

I was in Cabo Aug. 2003. The vis was good. I enjoyed the diving, but it's not like Coz. We used Cabo Acuadeportes. They are located at the Hacienda Beach Resort. (Not the Sheraton Hacienda)

We dove in Cabo in December, using Amigos Del Mar. Our trip report is here: Cabo Trip Report.

If you check Amigos Del Mar's website they also have information on their liveaboard diving, where you have a great chance of pelagic encounters.

Have heard good things about La Paz. But have not had the pleasure of dipping my fins in that location.

The diving off La Paz is almost entirely in the offshore islands (Espiritu Santo, Partida and Los Islotes for the sea lions). Thus it requires a "long" boat trip out there. Susan Speck wrote a good guide to diving Baja which you can find on the Internet or in many dive stores (well out here at least). She is also associated with Dolphin Dive Center in Loreto and they're on the web.

Dr. Bill

I've been to both Loreto and La Paz and would happily return to either. Aerocalifornia flies to both direct from LAX. The doc is correct -- diving out of La Paz is an all day affair, if that matters to you. Lots of good sites. We went out with a smaller operator, I believe it was Baja Quest.

Loreto is a small town, but the dive sites are closer. I was checking the Dolphin Dive Center website the other day (contemplating a return later this summer myself) and I see that they have moved into town, near the marina.

Bear in mind that hurricanes do happen here, too.

Thanks for the info....am still lookin into it. The info I got from the dive operator was that whale sharks are kinda rare out of La Paz or Loreto....you have to travel a couple hundred miles north to find them regularly. Am considering a trip to Las Animas with them. Any comments or experiences?

Thanks again

Wetvet

I just noticed this thread, and I am also going to the San Diego area for a week next summer with a yen to slip down to Baja for a 3-day dive trip. I have seen good reports on Loreto and La Paz also, but would personally prefer the most convenient short trip from California, so as to work in the most wet time. I'm from the east coast, and usually go to the Carribean, but can't pass up a chance for the Baja experience! Any news from the West coast experience would be appreciated. Thanks, Airhead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom