Recommendations for 2 island Caribbean Dive + Resort Trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of things to consider if doing the 2 Caribbean island trip:

1. Even though islands may be close (even very close) geographically, some flights will go from one island to another via Miami, San Juan & JFK, or Charlotte. It can make for a long day, and in some cases, these flights involve an overnight layover.

2. Some islands have short puddle jumper flights -some expensive, IMO, and some not too expensive - ferries may be an alternative but can't be found just anywhere. St. Maarten to Saba has both, but the low flying, 12 minute flight has shot up in price from a few years ago. The ABC islands are close to each other, but don't have ferries (to my knowledge) and flights don't just go from one island to the other.

3. Some flights/ferries only travel on specific days and at specific times.

My one "2-island in one trip Caribbean experience" was flying from Puerto Rico to Grand Cayman via Miami. Only dove 1 day during the week in PR as we did not stay on the best side of island for diving - was glad to have spent 2nd week in GC diving everyday, but we lost a day by flying. On the plus side, I didn't have to pack wet gear to lug around to, in, and from the airports. Wouldn't recommend it for shorter vacations and I don't see myself doing it again unless it's super convenient and not too expensive!

Here are a couple of suggestions, whether you island hop or stay, that fit what you're looking for. For an 8-10 day stay, there is enough to keep busy whether it be diving or topside for the activities you want.

Grand Cayman is a nice dive location with short flights to sister islands. Can dive different sides of the island, shore dive, and hit a couple of wrecks. Some say the diving on Little Cayman is better.

St. Croix has some varied diving - reefs, wrecks, walls. There aren't a lot of cruise ships coming in during any month which is good as the pier is a highly popular and recommended shore dive (day and night.)

* Both GC and St. X have a calmer west side with good diving if other sides of the island become a little rough. Maybe an important consideration when vacation days are short in number.
Excellent points jonhall, thanks for the tips. Do you have a specific resort at Grand Cayman you like? (spent a chunk of time researching the island but wondered if anyone had a favorite resort/hotel).

Since jonhall mentioned St. Croix, I'll put a link to my old 2017 research notes for it -
St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

Since then, a hurricane did major damage, some businesses changed (e.g.: N2TheBlue got new ownership and changed the name, Sweet Bottom Dive Center and Cane Bay Scuba moved around a bit), and someone told me a zip line operation become available. Still, it may give you an overall sense of the island scene.

There's a ferry between St. Croix and St. Thomas; a little quick Googling turned up this: St. Croix – St. Thomas Ferry Service - Virgin Islands

St. Thomas is a heavy cruise port with a lot of topside excursions, and has been considered the shopping capitol of the Caribbean, IIRC.

Even though islands may be close (even very close) geographically, some flights will go from one island to another via Miami, San Juan & JFK, or Charlotte. It can make for a long day, and in some cases, these flights involve an overnight layover.
If you have to do 2 islands, I believe there is a direct flight from Curacao to Bonaire, avoiding any connections like Puerto Rico, etc.

Do you have a specific resort at Grand Cayman you like?
Have stayed at Cobalt Coast, Compass Point, Morritt's, and the Westin on 7 mile beach. For strictly diving, my favorite is Compass Point which has Ocean Frontiers as the dive op. Their process makes everything diving related very easy. Since I was there last, they have created a small beach area (nicer than what they had) with an easy entry into the water. Food was good at their restaurant, although it is not an AI. Morritt's Tortuga Club is a decent hotel - nice pool, beach, and has Red Sail Sports as their onsite dive op. Cobalt Coast is somewhat isolated from everything on the map - has iron shore (no beach) but a small pool. AI is offered and the chef, in the past, offered great food. Reef Divers is onsite op. Stayed at the Westin first time in GC - beautiful beach and view (views everywhere are beautiful.) Lots of activity as it is on 7 mile beach. Below is a link to one of my old trip reports comparing Cobalt Coast and Compass Point.

I believe there is a direct flight from Curacao to Bonaire
Did a quick check and there is (if the internet is to be trusted), as well as to Aruba. These flights seem reasonable in price and there are a few different operators. Not sure if there are luggage limits on these flights - someone else would have to chime in on that. At a couple hundred dollars per person, this might be convenient for those trying to get 2 islands in during the same trip. Going to Aruba for a couple of weeks in January, but won't venture anywhere else.....this time!

Cobalt Coast has been sold and apparently won't be operating as a dive resort. There's a thread about it here someplace.

Another Cayman option on Grand is Wyndham Reef, next door to Morritts. We've stayed at both and I think the Reef is a nicer resort than Morritts, including the beach and pools. (At Morritt's the units seem all over the place depending on which building you're in, and the pools are mostly surrounded/shadowed by buildings except for the one in front of Morritts Grand.) Unclear if they have a dive op at the Reef - it has come and gone over the years - but pretty sure other watersports available. We've dove with Ocean Frontiers at Compass Point while staying at either. Even though it's not far, It's too rushed to do both morning and afternoon boats if you want to return to rooms/wives for lunch. But if you're just doing one 2-tank trip a day it works. Compass Point is also a very nice place to stay, but not quite as "resorty" for the non-divers. Lots less for restaurants on the East End, but enough - you will probably find yourself driving (you'll want a car) to the west end or other areas some days for shopping/dining/exploring which is fine, though traffic can be pretty bad at rush hour. You could get a 2BR unit at any of those.

We have not stayed at Lighthouse point in the northwest but also worth looking at. Good dive op on site and shore diving there too.

I would expect the best Cayman diving to be Little Cayman so it is worth combining the 2. Little Cayman Beach resort pushes Sat-Sat stays now, so that can limit your flexibility for a combo trip. You could look at Southern Cross Club, or Conch Club condos.

TheOP was interested in a place that was lux, non touristy and had other activities besides diving. LC may be non touristy but there isn't much to do apart from dive or snorkel. Cayman Crac, on the other hand has the bluff area for rock climbing and a bit more in the way of other activities. The Brac Reef resort overall is more 4 star than 5 star but the pool area and bar certainly are 5 star. It's possible to lounge by that pool, order drinks with umbrellas and be pampered there if that is how you want to spend a vacation. The diving is excellent on the Brac as well. Might suit the OPs needs better than some of the other places put forward.

As per the question of Curacao to Bonaire by air, Divi Divi does multiple flights daily and is competitively priced.

You can island hop between Bonaire and Curacao via Divi Divi Air, the only airline that flies between islands. The baggage allowance is very limited, especially for divers. From their website:
"Your ticket fare includes the cost of transporting a certain amount of baggage. The free baggage allowance is 18 kg (39 pounds) per passenger per seat and varies according to the availability of space on board our aircraft. Hand luggage is between 3 to 5 kg/person. Your checked baggage may not exceed the weight and following dimensions‚ 18 kgs and 67 x 38 x 25 cm (height x width x depth) per checked piece of baggage. Individual bags should however never exceed 23 kgs. Heavier or bigger baggage items will be transported on a if space available basis‚ and with additional payment. Pieces that are too large or heavy will not be accepted at all due to handling limitations. Such pieces must be transported as cargo or the contents must be split and packed separately. In the event that “re-packing” is necessary at the airport‚ passenger will carry all expenses and use either special cardboard boxes or plastic bags."

I was contemplating doing this itinerary next year, but the luggage limits are too restrictive. Another option is to fly back to Miami after the first island, spend the night, then go to the second island. American Airlines has nonstop flights to Bonaire and Curacao from Miami, about a 3-hour or so flight.

Both of these islands have topside activities and snorkeling tours for non-divers.

Curacao has everything you're looking for and, in my opinion, has the most underrated diving in the Caribbean! Lion's Dive has packages and is in the middle of everything. Papagayo Resort Curacao has a more lux component if you want that. A place like Coral Estates Resort is out of town up the coast and is quieter. The diving in Curacao is simply awesome. Be sure to take a look at Dive Charter Curacao for a great RIB boat diving experience. East Side diving is not to be missed and KK and Andy are really good people!

Curacao has everything you're looking for and, in my opinion, has the most underrated diving in the Caribbean! Lion's Dive has packages and is in the middle of everything. Papagayo Resort Curacao has a more lux component if you want that. A place like Coral Estates Resort is out of town up the coast and is quieter. The diving in Curacao is simply awesome. Be sure to take a look at Dive Charter Curacao for a great RIB boat diving experience. East Side diving is not to be missed and KK and Andy are really good people!
very helpful - thanks Koko!

Hello friends! Carribbean recommendations needed!

Our situation: 2 couples w/ 2 of us avid scuba divers (advanced w/ enriched air certs) w/ wives who love active lifestyles (hiking, water, resorts) but are not divers. Normally we do a Cozumel trip for a week and get 10-12 dives in, staying in a waterfront house (picked up on the dock by Dive with Martin outfit, love them). In 2023 we want to make a change and go to the other side of Caribbean for 8-10 days in February 2023. So looking for recommendations on where to go - we are thinking a 2-island trip but would be open to a fantastic single island that has everything as well. What we are looking for:
  • Great diving location (comparing our trip to Cozumel, which we love)
  • Good diving outfits with excellent expertise and safety record (ex. PADI 5 star)
  • Higher end resort (vs budget), waterfront w/ great pool (for the non-divers)
  • Fun, adventurous above-water activity options (hikes/paddle boards/walks - anything unique and non-touristy)
  • Good food/restaurant options (but we are also OK cooking in)
  • Umbrella drinks with a killer pool for extra points :)
  • We prefer to avoid cruise ship crowds and spend our time with the locals and appreciate/get to know the culture
  • We are flying from Seattle area, so want to optimize cost and travel time with moderate-upscale amenities on this trip
Any recommendations? Helping to recommend islands and/or resorts/accomodations (ex. "check out these 2 locations" or "definitely consider this island for your 1st Caribbean option") are much appreciated.

A million thanks in advance! And happy diving to you in 2023!
Hi, Diving Barbados has been awesome. We go back almost every year! There is a 5 star PADI dive shop on the Hilton grounds that was fantastic and right on the water! We dove in the Carlisle Bay marine park on wrecks covered in coral. We also went out on the reef on more advanced drift dives. Our favorite was the amazing coral encrusted Stavronikita wreck. There were turtles on all dives and amazing sea life. The boat rides ranged from 5 min. to the marine park and sometimes less than 30 min to the reefs. There is lots to see and do in Barbados and the island isn't over run with tourists and giant resorts. Grenada is amazing as well and enjoyed their under water sculpture park. I believe the dive shop near the Hilton has a sister shop in Grenada. I highly recommend Barbados.
:)
Aimee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom