Recommendations for 2 island Caribbean Dive + Resort Trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrettSeattle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello friends! Carribbean recommendations needed!

Our situation: 2 couples w/ 2 of us avid scuba divers (advanced w/ enriched air certs) w/ wives who love active lifestyles (hiking, water, resorts) but are not divers. Normally we do a Cozumel trip for a week and get 10-12 dives in, staying in a waterfront house (picked up on the dock by Dive with Martin outfit, love them). In 2023 we want to make a change and go to the other side of Caribbean for 8-10 days in February 2023. So looking for recommendations on where to go - we are thinking a 2-island trip but would be open to a fantastic single island that has everything as well. What we are looking for:
  • Great diving location (comparing our trip to Cozumel, which we love)
  • Good diving outfits with excellent expertise and safety record (ex. PADI 5 star)
  • Higher end resort (vs budget), waterfront w/ great pool (for the non-divers)
  • Fun, adventurous above-water activity options (hikes/paddle boards/walks - anything unique and non-touristy)
  • Good food/restaurant options (but we are also OK cooking in)
  • Umbrella drinks with a killer pool for extra points :)
  • We prefer to avoid cruise ship crowds and spend our time with the locals and appreciate/get to know the culture
  • We are flying from Seattle area, so want to optimize cost and travel time with moderate-upscale amenities on this trip
Any recommendations? Helping to recommend islands and/or resorts/accomodations (ex. "check out these 2 locations" or "definitely consider this island for your 1st Caribbean option") are much appreciated.

A million thanks in advance! And happy diving to you in 2023!

Attachments

• IMG_5060.JPG
    IMG_5060.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 67
Curacao came to mind as far from Cozumel yet in the Caribbean, with a decent variety of topside activities, good diving, sandy beaches and a lot to offer. I don't know about killer pools; I get enough water time in the ocean, so if our kid's along, as long as she's happy with it, cool.
Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

That said, some of your desires don't correlate very well.

Fun, adventurous above-water activity options (hikes/paddle boards/walks - anything unique and non-touristy)

wives who love active lifestyles (hiking, water, resorts) but are not divers.
  • Umbrella drinks with a killer pool for extra points :)
  • We prefer to avoid cruise ship crowds and spend our time with the locals and appreciate/get to know the culture
A destination with a lot to offer non-divers, a range of topside activities, sounds like...well, a touristy cruise ship destination (which Cozumel very much is), since that provides the demand inspiring the services infrastructure to offer those activities.

Of course, you can visit Cozumel or Grand Cayman without wading through cruiser crowds. If you wanted rustic, I hear Curacao's Westpunt area could fill the bill.

If you want to stay in a couple of places, you could either split time between the Willemstad area and Westpunt on Curacao, or Curacao and Aruba.

Grand Cayman has a range of accommodations, albeit with a rep. for being pricey, and various topside excursions. You might run into some cruisers, though.

Puerto Rico is huge compared to many Caribbean islands, has a lot to offer topside, and doesn't seem to be as focused on diving so you'd need to research some trip reports.

St. Lucia is beautifully lush topside, has some topside excursions (e.g.: a cruise port), you can do nature hikes, there's good diving, and Anse Chastanet has a rep. for nice (and pricey) to stay at. I've done a rainforest hike and 2 dives there. St. Lucia has Sandals Resorts, too.

Do any of these options sound appealing?

I second @drrich2's recommendations of Curacao and Anse Chastanet. They seem to fit your requirements very well for things to do for divers and non-divers. There are a variety of high end hotels and resorts in both locations, AI and others, most of which have pools you will like, hiking and water sports opportunities, and very nice beaches for diving, snorkeling or just laying around. In my opinion the diving in Curacao is as good as Bonaire, but the shore entries in Curacao are much easier in/out sandy beaches. My wife and I spent an excellent month there last summer, with me diving in the morning with Ocean Encounters for boat dives, and with The Dive Bus for beach shore diving up and down the coast. When I went with The Dive Bus, we followed them to the dive sites in our rental car, and while I did two tank dives, my wife snorkeled or just enjoyed the beach, then we would stop at a variety of beaches on the way back to Willemstad. When I did boat dives in the morning from the Sunscape Curacao Resort, we jumped in the car for more snorkeling in the afternoon and explored most of the island during our stay. We will return to Curacao for a similar experience in the future.

An alternate, but more expensive option is Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia. This luxury hotel will give you very up upscale accomodations and excellent diving with a very reputable on-site dive op. We did not stay or dive there, but did a one day recon a couple of years ago. It is certainly on our bucket list.

Barbados and Grenada - both very different but both special, Barbados sophisticated tourist island (probably the best island in the Caribbean) with good diving, Grenada slightly more chilled and less developed

You could also add Tobago to either of those islands as well

I prefer closer to 2 weeks if I had to fly between destinations. Too much overhead to bother in 8.

Curacao has lots to see and do and eat. Nice diving shore or boat as you prefer. One advantage is you can split a stay between different parts of the island and it will be quite different, without needing to fly anywhere. Perhaps some time at a place in or near town, and some towards the west end. It’s a pretty big island.

I think St Vincent with ferry to Bequia is another good option.

Curaçao is a favorite destination but I don’t do “fancy” Preferring a VRBO, eating in for breakfast, snacky stuff for lunch and one good meal in the evening, dive bus for for the unlimited tank option.

A couple of things to consider if doing the 2 Caribbean island trip:

1. Even though islands may be close (even very close) geographically, some flights will go from one island to another via Miami, San Juan & JFK, or Charlotte. It can make for a long day, and in some cases, these flights involve an overnight layover.

2. Some islands have short puddle jumper flights -some expensive, IMO, and some not too expensive - ferries may be an alternative but can't be found just anywhere. St. Maarten to Saba has both, but the low flying, 12 minute flight has shot up in price from a few years ago. The ABC islands are close to each other, but don't have ferries (to my knowledge) and flights don't just go from one island to the other.

3. Some flights/ferries only travel on specific days and at specific times.

My one "2-island in one trip Caribbean experience" was flying from Puerto Rico to Grand Cayman via Miami. Only dove 1 day during the week in PR as we did not stay on the best side of island for diving - was glad to have spent 2nd week in GC diving everyday, but we lost a day by flying. On the plus side, I didn't have to pack wet gear to lug around to, in, and from the airports. Wouldn't recommend it for shorter vacations and I don't see myself doing it again unless it's super convenient and not too expensive!

Here are a couple of suggestions, whether you island hop or stay, that fit what you're looking for. For an 8-10 day stay, there is enough to keep busy whether it be diving or topside for the activities you want.

Grand Cayman is a nice dive location with short flights to sister islands. Can dive different sides of the island, shore dive, and hit a couple of wrecks. Some say the diving on Little Cayman is better.

St. Croix has some varied diving - reefs, wrecks, walls. There aren't a lot of cruise ships coming in during any month which is good as the pier is a highly popular and recommended shore dive (day and night.)

* Both GC and St. X have a calmer west side with good diving if other sides of the island become a little rough. Maybe an important consideration when vacation days are short in number.

Curacao came to mind as far from Cozumel yet in the Caribbean, with a decent variety of topside activities, good diving, sandy beaches and a lot to offer. I don't know about killer pools; I get enough water time in the ocean, so if our kid's along, as long as she's happy with it, cool.
Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

That said, some of your desires don't correlate very well.

A destination with a lot to offer non-divers, a range of topside activities, sounds like...well, a touristy cruise ship destination (which Cozumel very much is), since that provides the demand inspiring the services infrastructure to offer those activities.

Of course, you can visit Cozumel or Grand Cayman without wading through cruiser crowds. If you wanted rustic, I hear Curacao's Westpunt area could fill the bill.

If you want to stay in a couple of places, you could either split time between the Willemstad area and Westpunt on Curacao, or Curacao and Aruba.

Grand Cayman has a range of accommodations, albeit with a rep. for being pricey, and various topside excursions. You might run into some cruisers, though.

Puerto Rico is huge compared to many Caribbean islands, has a lot to offer topside, and doesn't seem to be as focused on diving so you'd need to research some trip reports.

St. Lucia is beautifully lush topside, has some topside excursions (e.g.: a cruise port), you can do nature hikes, there's good diving, and Anse Chastanet has a rep. for nice (and pricey) to stay at. I've done a rainforest hike and 2 dives there. St. Lucia has Sandals Resorts, too.

Do any of these options sound appealing?
Thanks so much drrich2 - all excellent points. (and agree - some of the desires don't correlate well! trying to maximize a scuba trip with the wives' desire for topside adventure with a dash of luxury.... something will give, but love some of the thinking you all have provided here). ABC islands are sounding more attractive - like your analysis above. I'll research some of the spots you mentioned.

I second @drrich2's recommendations of Curacao and Anse Chastanet. They seem to fit your requirements very well for things to do for divers and non-divers. There are a variety of high end hotels and resorts in both locations, AI and others, most of which have pools you will like, hiking and water sports opportunities, and very nice beaches for diving, snorkeling or just laying around. In my opinion the diving in Curacao is as good as Bonaire, but the shore entries in Curacao are much easier in/out sandy beaches. My wife and I spent an excellent month there last summer, with me diving in the morning with Ocean Encounters for boat dives, and with The Dive Bus for beach shore diving up and down the coast. When I went with The Dive Bus, we followed them to the dive sites in our rental car, and while I did two tank dives, my wife snorkeled or just enjoyed the beach, then we would stop at a variety of beaches on the way back to Willemstad. When I did boat dives in the morning from the Sunscape Curacao Resort, we jumped in the car for more snorkeling in the afternoon and explored most of the island during our stay. We will return to Curacao for a similar experience in the future.

An alternate, but more expensive option is Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia. This luxury hotel will give you very up upscale accomodations and excellent diving with a very reputable on-site dive op. We did not stay or dive there, but did a one day recon a couple of years ago. It is certainly on our bucket list.
Thanks for this - very helpful. Some great recommendations for us to research here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom