Recommendation on a good dive / survival knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBrian

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to pick up another knife as I just busted my last.

I do a good bit of camping so want a knife that can do double duty.

The SOG Seal Pup has caught my eye.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers.

Personaly I like the knives SOG offers over most of the dive specific knives. I acutually have one of the SOG Government models on my BC. I'm still working on my setup, and will likely continue to use SOG knives on my gear. I currently have that knife witch is about a 7" blade, and a set of EMT shears on the BC. I may move it to a different location but it is also convenient where it is now. I am also likely to ad a pair of 4"knives as well. I'm a firm believer in carrying more cutlery than necessary. The 3rd dive I ever made I got snaged in some of that Kevlar fishing line, and I figure If I've got to add weight as it is I may as well make that ballast useful.

Skip the knife, and purchase shears. I use EMT shears, and they are small, and more useful vs. a knife for most applications. I do have a knife, and it has only seen the light of day once. I did use it on the Grove to free a diver of some line, but only because I did not anticipate using my shears, and left them on the boat.

I always carry a knife, but that is because it's attached to my BC. I find Shears more useful, but that depends on what you are doing on the dive.

I've got one the Mission Knives MPK.

Titanium, never corrodes, works for camping and diving for me.

But I don't pry with it.

Expensive as hell though.

Dive knife and survival knife are not particularly synonymous... However, I *am* a fan of SOG knives.

I keep a pair EMT shears below a shoulder D-ring, and 3" titanium backup on my waist-strap.

For Wyofirediver... I'm a little curious about what a 7" blade will do underwater, that you can't do with a 3"? And, do you *really* keep a 7" bladed knife (I figure 12" overall?) on your BC?

BKP The knife actually mounts with paracord to the shoulder strap in a kydex sheath alongside the corogated hose for the inflator. As to the length of the blade I can get better leverage with it that a shorter blade, the butt of the handle is a hammer head. The main reason I started using it to begin with was that it was the most suitable knife I had at the time based on construction (Stainless, Rubber grip, and kydex sheath. It may be overkill, but has worked well so far so I see little reason to switch to something else.

I agree with you on the shears. Generally I think they are much more versatile than a knife and I carry one on my left shoulder D-rink. Most of my diving is solo so I like having the redundancy of a fixed blade as well.

Thanks for the comments. I think I will go with the SOG Seal Pup as it seems to be fairly strong plus comes with a lifetime warranty against damage.

Go with what your gut tells you and get the seal pup. Titanium is good until you actually have to use it. Its a great crossive resistant material & holds a decent edge, but its too brittle (maybe I'm just a little rough on knives). But if your looking for a do it all knife, shears ain't gonna cut it.

For diving I carry a small folding knife, though I've never used it. On my boat I carry a Leatherman Wave, which I've used a couple of times to cut away rope tangled in the prop.

Go with what your gut tells you and get the seal pup. Titanium is good until you actually have to use it. Its a great crossive resistant material & holds a decent edge, but its too brittle (maybe I'm just a little rough on knives). But if your looking for a do it all knife, shears ain't gonna cut it.

Normally I'd say I was rough on knives too, but I havent been able to get my MPK to break. I've cut, sawed, pried, hacked, and thrown it lashed to a pole as a spear.

Just havent been able to break it yet.

Course, when I do I'll be PISSED.

It isn't the cheapest knife!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom