Recommendation for GPS Coordinate Standards (DMS or Decimal System)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you there

I've slowly managed to restrict smokers on my live-aboard to the top deck, right at the stern, dirty, smelly lot. I wish I could ban them all together. I'm sure the day will come

And the fights they have about fags! They're big enough to smoke, but they never bring enough on board for a week at sea. Just as well it's me who organises the essentials - gas, food and beer.

Dont let the beer run out!!! you will have mutiny on board.:angrymob:

You would have to sack 90% of the instructors in Thailand, and at least 95% of the DM's. :D

I'm with you there

I've slowly managed to restrict smokers on my live-aboard to the top deck, right at the stern, dirty, smelly lot. I wish I could ban them all together. I'm sure the day will come

I was leafing through an old PADI "Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving" (oddly enough no publishing date info), and there is a side bar recommendation box on page 2-17 which says, and I quote:
5. The effects of smoking are undeniably detrimental, and divers should avoid it. If the habit cannot be eliminated altogether, divers should abstain from smoking 10-12 hours before and after diving to prevent interference with normal gas exchange.
Of course, who am I to judge others (I am nobody); but I do think it sets a very bad example for DMs and instructors to smoke on a dive boat at any time or location on the boat.

I agree entirely Funrecdiver, but I am also in favour of freedom of choice.
However the facts are that a great number of Dive professionals that practice their trade in Thailand participate in the disgusting habit, even against PADI advice, and in front of customers.
But how many times have I been lambasted on these forums for calling some 'dive professionals', unprofessional?
Again, who am I to make such comments, to whom do we custommers matter?

Dont let the beer run out!!! you will have mutiny on board.:angrymob:

Never , ever, ever !

I have an Excel program that calculates oxygen, helium, sorb, beer, soft drinks for each trip, plus a sensible reserve of course.

I agree with you, there's nothing worse than a diver throwing his fag in the water, in with the reg, and dive. Then light up as he's de-briefing

No I'm wrong, even worse is when they smoke on the dive deck and the smoke gets in your breathing loop,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom