Recommendation for Feb/Mar trip short(ish) flight from Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ross9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My partner and I have just finished up a dive trip in Malta. We’ve both enjoyed our diving prior to this but it’s now clicked that we want to build our holidays around diving for the next few years.

We’re likely going to have a week (and a day or so extra if necessary for flights) available in Feb or March. We live in Scotland and given we only have a week we would like to keep the flight time to a minimum, which likely means a winter/spring trip in Europe or maybe the Red Sea are going to be the only viable options.

We’re both still relatively new divers, both AOW. I’m on 33 dives and she’s on 19. We’ve comfortably managed the wreck diving in Malta and we’d consider ourselves a little better than average for our dive experience.

We like the look of the Red Sea liveaboards though wonder if the diving is suitable for <50 dive experience? We’ve also looked at the Canary Islands but like the idea of a liveaboard.

Any particular recommendations from UK/Euro based members seeking out winter diving and sun?

Cheers

Hi,

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Have you considered the world class diving in Scottish waters? Then you could both dive year round.

Regards
Yes we have. And it’s definitely on the list once we get our dry suit dive course out of the way - we’ll likely wait until next summer for that. My partner is Aussie so it may yet take some convincing!

I have also heard that a lot of the top dives here are better once you’re a bit more experienced and potentially into the realms of tec diving?

It's a little early for Azores season, so I think Red Sea would be your best bet. Another option would be shark diving in The Bahamas. Check out Tiger Beach and Bimini.

Canaries? I'm doing a long weekend in Lanzarote in February. It's not going to be warm maybe 19C but that's a lot better than home at that time of year.

Or maybe Cape Verde? Not sure what the flights are like for you especially post Thomas Cook. You might need to go to Manchester.

We're edging towards Tenerife. Appears to be the easiest of the Canaries to get to from Edinburgh. Would love to do the Red Sea but flights are a nightmare from up here so might need to wait until we can take two weeks off.

Any recommended dive shops in Tenerife? Also any recommendations for good areas to stay would be helpful - ideally with fewer tourists and more locals. The more people who don't speak English the better.

We're edging towards Tenerife. Appears to be the easiest of the Canaries to get to from Edinburgh. Would love to do the Red Sea but flights are a nightmare from up here so might need to wait until we can take two weeks off.

Any recommended dive shops in Tenerife? Also any recommendations for good areas to stay would be helpful - ideally with fewer tourists and more locals. The more people who don't speak English the better.

I remember @Storker posting about his trip to Tenerife so perhaps he can advise you.

Unless you head toward the warmer regions you are likely to encounter cold water at that time of year - even in Florida and the Bahamas - which may not be too attractive to your partner.

My partner and I have just finished up a dive trip in Malta. We’ve both enjoyed our diving prior to this but it’s now clicked that we want to build our holidays around diving for the next few years.

We’re likely going to have a week (and a day or so extra if necessary for flights) available in Feb or March. We live in Scotland and given we only have a week we would like to keep the flight time to a minimum, which likely means a winter/spring trip in Europe or maybe the Red Sea are going to be the only viable options.

We’re both still relatively new divers, both AOW. I’m on 33 dives and she’s on 19. We’ve comfortably managed the wreck diving in Malta and we’d consider ourselves a little better than average for our dive experience.

We like the look of the Red Sea liveaboards though wonder if the diving is suitable for <50 dive experience? We’ve also looked at the Canary Islands but like the idea of a liveaboard.

Any particular recommendations from UK/Euro based members seeking out winter diving and sun?

Cheers

No direct flight to Egypt? How about a direct flight to Istanbul?

I once flew to Cairo through Finland.

No direct flight to Egypt? How about a direct flight to Istanbul?

I once flew to Cairo through Finland.

We flew from Chicago to Cairo with one stop in Milan.

We flew from Chicago to Cairo with one stop in Milan.

So Scotland to Milan, then on to Cairo?

Perhaps the problem for the OP is first getting out of Great Britian?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom