Recommendation for beginner's first scuba trip in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinoygolferaz78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! I am a newly certified diver with 40-50 dives. I have been to Cozumel twice and ince in Bonaire. I enjoyed all the dives there. I am planning to go to the Philippines next month. I already searched this site for previous threads but I figured I ask the experts for recommendations they have specifically for me.

Trip Date - October
Days for diving including travel - 3 and 5 (two locations)

Traveling with non diver - Yes, non diver is willing to go on the boat. Would like to go sightseeing during the trip on first day and the day before flying back to Manila.

Accommodation - I like average to above average. I'm not much of a backpacker

I am thinking Anilao for the first location and then Coron for the 2nd location. I have heard a lot of good things about Coron but I don't know if I am into wrecks.
I have done one wreck dive in Bonaire (Hilma Hooker) and it was ok. I was amazed at the size of the ship but I don't remember getting wowed. In addition, I have poor air consumption so going deep significantly reduces my bottom time. I am willing to Try the wrecks in Coron if they are highly recommended and easy Experts/experienced members, what do you think? Anilao and Coron okay for my profile or should I go somewhere else? Can you also recommend dive shops? I Read that Rock Steady Dive Center in Coron is awesome. Thank you
!

You say you're new at this and breathe air pretty heavily... so far.

Just understand that the diving and the dive-infrastructure (the boats, ladders, etc) are going to be a world away from the location you mentioned diving, Bonaire. This will be a number of new situations for you to deal with, all piled on top of each other.

The Philippines have some of the most interesting currents I have ever experienced, and remember that this then requires you to do an entry "on demand", usually a back roll from a gunnel 1m off the water. The DM will likely advise you to "descend immediately"- that means clearing and boom, down. Surface recoveries can be a bit dicey as compared to Bonaire as well.

Best advice? Stick with your DM- the Philippines can be a macro-paradise... shipwrecks will quickly become irrelevant.

Come to Alona Beach,Panglao,Bohol. We have everything for divers and non-divers. Check out Seaquest/Oasis Resort for your diving and topside activities. The island of Panglao offers many sightseeing activities such as Chocolate Hills,waterfalls,adventure parks,caves plus several interesting restaurants and even the new Aliens Disco for late night fun. IMPO Alona Beach offers some the best all around diving for all levels of diving experience.

"Living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Come to Alona Beach,Panglao,Bohol. We have everything for divers and non-divers. Check out Seaquest/Oasis Resort for your diving and topside activities. The island of Panglao offers many sightseeing activities such as Chocolate Hills,waterfalls,adventure parks,caves plus several interesting restaurants and even the new Aliens Disco for late night fun. IMPO Alona Beach offers some the best all around diving for all levels of diving experience.

"Living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Hi there! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look.

What do you think about Puerto Galera and how is it compared with Alona Beach?

PG beats Alona for diving IME but in neighbouring Bohol you can make nice side-trips (see tarsiers, Chocolate Hills) to satisfy your non-diver.

I wouldn't recommend Coron so much as the wrecks are generally deep and you'll burn a day of travel to get there.

If you're arriving in Manila PG is easy to get to if the weather plays nice.
Bohol is closer to Cebu- personally I enjoy Cebu area more than the north.

If you stick to the north I'd try to visit PG for diving and possibly look to go to Boracay- diving isn't epic but it has a fun atmosphere which again could interest your non-diver.

If you can change to arriving/departing Cebu then go to Anilao and possibly Dumaguete- good side trips in Dumaguete area and excellent variety of diving IME.

You say you're new at this and breathe air pretty heavily... so far.

Just understand that the diving and the dive-infrastructure (the boats, ladders, etc) are going to be a world away from the location you mentioned diving, Bonaire. This will be a number of new situations for you to deal with, all piled on top of each other.

The Philippines have some of the most interesting currents I have ever experienced, and remember that this then requires you to do an entry "on demand", usually a back roll from a gunnel 1m off the water. The DM will likely advise you to "descend immediately"- that means clearing and boom, down. Surface recoveries can be a bit dicey as compared to Bonaire as well.

Best advice? Stick with your DM- the Philippines can be a macro-paradise... shipwrecks will quickly become irrelevant.

Hello Roatanman! Thanks for your reply. I have done back roll entry in Cozumel and Bonaire. I actually enjoyed them. The ladder and physically demanding stuff is not the issue. It's more like I don't know the proper breathing technique yet. I also get anxious underwater especially when I go past 70 feet. I try to relax but by the time I get comfortable, I've used up half my air already. Haha

Looks like I will skip Coron for now As the wrecks thereAre deeper (for my standards). :)

---------- Post Merged at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 AM ----------

PG beats Alona for diving IME but in neighbouring Bohol you can make nice side-trips (see tarsiers, Chocolate Hills) to satisfy your non-diver.

I wouldn't recommend Coron so much as the wrecks are generally deep and you'll burn a day of travel to get there.

If you stick to the north I'd try to visit PG for diving and possibly look to go to Boracay- diving isn't epic but it has a fun atmosphere which again could interest your non-diver.

If you can change to arriving/departing Cebu then go to Anilao and possibly Dumaguete- good side trips in Dumaguete area and excellent variety of diving IME.

Supergaijin,

I will not go diving right away when I arrive in Manila. I will stay there for a couple of days to visit relatives. Then, I'll go to Anilao for a couple of days if my friend who is also an instructor can go with me. Then, back to Manila for about a week before going on another diving trip in the Philippines. Based on the recommendations from this thread, I have Puerto Galera, Alona Beach, and Cebu/Boracay to choose from. I'm really having a hard time deciding. What about Tubbataha? I read that it's ranked 8th in the world by CNNgo.com

---------- Post Merged at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 AM ----------

You would recommend Cebu over Puerto Galera? Is this due to the topside activities or diving? I want both. haha :)

...What do you think about Puerto Galera and how is it compared with Alona Beach?

When you refer to Puerto Galera, likely you are referring to Batangas Beach, which is not only about 15 miles away, but in many ways, worlds apart.

Batangas Beach has brought me back twice, both times to the Atlantis.

Philippines Puerto Galera Sabang Beach pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket
Philippines Hotel Atlantis Pto Galera Sabang pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

and a few other sub-albums in my PhotoBucket pages.

diving around alona beach ,because of balicasag and cabilao near by,plus having all those,chocolate hills and tarsiers etc to see on land trips around there,would be a good trip for both .....
Puerto Galera or sabang area is also good diving for new divers,mind you,your not THAT new as you have at least 40 dives.....i wandered around the area there on time off from diving and had some lovely walks....
dumaguette area is also lovely,with places to go and see during the day other than diving,and the diving is wonderful around there...daruin,apo island,siquior island,close to moaboal in mid-south cebu......lovely university city too.....

now,drinking too much air...i say this to people that say that to me..."put your tounge inside the mouthpiece when taking some air in too slow the air down going into your lungs..so take it in slowly and then let it out slowly....if you are stressed or gulping too much air,grab a rock,and meditate a little,slowing the air down,and within 20 seconds,you can start breathing slowly again....
slow in,slow out and relax....
hope that helps....

If flying in and out of Manila, I'd stay in the area.
Anilao, PG and maybe Subic Bay (Subic is famous for wrecks but also has good general diving and is an option if the weather is arse. Boracay is the most 'touristy' of the Philippine islands- meaning it looks and feels similar to other islands in say... Thailand or Malaysia. Nice beaches and quality places to stay and drink.

I love Cebu and the Visayas in general but hate flying unneccesarily when on vacation with a timeframe. Save it for another trip to do it justice- but I heartily recommend this area for its diving and local warmth.

now,drinking too much air...i say this to people that say that to me..."put your tounge inside the mouthpiece when taking some air in too slow the air down going into your lungs..so take it in slowly and then let it out slowly....if you are stressed or gulping too much air,grab a rock,and meditate a little,slowing the air down,and within 20 seconds,you can start breathing slowly again....
slow in,slow out and relax....
hope that helps....

Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try. Is there a pause between inhale and exhale? If so, about how long? I'm so paranoid about holding breath underwater but I've heard several divers tell me they pause. To me I consider that pause holding your breath. No? I'm envy divers who can last close to an hour or more with a regular tank and at a depth of 70ft+ most of the time. If I went 70ft+, my air goes from 3000 down to 1500 in about 20 minutes, if not less. Then, I have to go shallow on the way back so that I don't run out of air during safety stop. Very frustrating because I go to the gym 3-5 times a week (doing cardio 3 times a week) and 15% body fat. It's not like I'm out of shape. Sigh.

---------- Post Merged at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:08 PM ----------

When you refer to Puerto Galera, likely you are referring to Batangas Beach, which is not only about 15 miles away, but in many ways, worlds apart.

Batangas Beach has brought me back twice, both times to the Atlantis.

Philippines Puerto Galera Sabang Beach pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket
Philippines Hotel Atlantis Pto Galera Sabang pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

and a few other sub-albums in my PhotoBucket pages.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. They are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom