Recommendation for a diving outfit in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had good dives with Big Island Water Sports at Lahaina. Very good boat and great crew.

Lahaina is in Maui, a different island.

---------- Post Merged at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Op, This could good to do. A shore dive with Jack's right by the King Kam hotel.

Had good dives with Big Island Water Sports at Lahaina. Very good boat and great crew.

But Lahaina is on Maui. On Kona, Kona Honu Divers and Jack's Diving Locker are both good choices, both in or near Kailua Kona. Tell the shop about your "rustiness" to be sure to get on trips that are "user friendly" and to get a little extra attention from the divemasters. Also, 6 years is a long time out of the water. Seriously consider a scuba refresher BEFORE you leave on your trip. It may be that the Kona dive centers will want to see that before you go out with them. You could do it there, but better to do it at home before the trip.
DivemasterDennis

Kona is like a big swimming pool. Shore diving would be a great place to do a refresher. In fact it is small hike but near the marina there is an awesome reef with an easy entry. Pay the DM to carry your gear to the water if you don't want to. Then they can run you through skills in shallow water and when ready take you out to the SAME reef that the boats anchor at :rofl3:

I did a boat dive there (Manta dive), and was pissed because we could have done both dives they did from shore for...the price of an air fill.

another vote for the Kona Diving Co. We had 11 dives with them this past May and it was a great experience. They are good people, and the diving was very nice! Make sure to catch the manta dive atleast once...

Don't want to hijack this thread but we are heading to Kona in early November. Both DH and myself are master divers, DH does underwater video. We are also looking for a dive operation but need one with a camera friendly boat. It looks like Kona Divers is well liked, how many people do they take on their boats. We will be there for 6 diving days and would like to get at least 2 dives a day, I've noticed from my research that most boats don't do more than that except for the afternoon/night manta dive (which we will also do). We don't want to luge our gear back to the hotel every day so someone who stores gear is a must as well. I'm assuming whoever we choose can recommend lodging close by as well,since we haven't booked that yet.

My buddy dove with Kona Diving last year. He has a full video rig, lights, arms etc. and mentioned no problems. IDK about gear storage as he probably took his most afternoons to shore dive. They're really friendly if you call. It's a smaller boat so they limit the divers. It's also a cat so more stable than some of it's size. WannadiveKona is another option, they have a six-pack. They were our second choice. [user]friscuba[/user] owns it.

Lodging nearby is not what you'd expect. Most of the dive boats leave out of Honokohau harbor just north of Kona town. It's pretty much a desolate area with a few nearby industrial buildings and the harbor. Maybe just a mile? north of "downtown" Kona.

There's an older resort in town - King Kamehameha and a few condo complexes - most with ocean views, not many are waterfront.

You really want to stay south of Kona - there's about a 3-4 mile stretch of condos and resorts all down the coast. Since Hawaii is volcanic in origin, many of those, while waterfront, are not beachfront - typically there's large, sharp lava rocks going right into the water. So if a beach is important, find a resort on one or a condo complex within walking distance of one. Many that are will feature it as an attraction. From that area it's a couple mile drive to the boat harbor thru town - there's also a second road that bypasses any of the congestion (it's not much) going north/south. Some of the dive shops are in that area - there's a little industrial plaza where two or three of them are located - including Kona Diving Co. After you check in with them once, you'll meet at the boat.

IDK what it will be like for you but last year there were some really good deals on oceanfront - not beachfront - condos in that area. We found a nice 2br, newly refurbished with quality stuff - $700/wk. Many of the owners mentioned that they were trying to help in the down economy by reducing their rates. IDK anything about the hotels in that area since we don't stay in them but there are several nearby and 2-3 mi. farther south in Keahou. From the condos nearest to Kona you can walk to town - there's a sidewalk/path along the road. Here's a listing of many of them - anything along Ali'i drive is your target area. VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner

In that area - mostly a short drive to the south - you'll find about 5-6 shore dives - a shore drive south to the Place of Refuge - one dive everyone tries to do. You can see on the map here how most sites are clustered in that area with a few north or south. The Big Island lives up to it's name - driving across island takes several hours. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/index.htm

North of the boat harbor is the airport - then a 20mile stretch of seaside driving - mostly along lava fields - until you get to Waikoloa which is where a few of the larger resorts (Marriott, Hilton etc.) are located. I mention it since you indicate you might want a hotel. The Hilton is the one with the dolphin encounter. Also the beaches tend to be nicer in that area. If you want to shoredive there though you'll probably have to drive north to Puako. There's not a lot of dining options in Waikoloa either outside of the resorts and only one operator that keeps a boat nearby afaik - the 20min. drive back to Kona gets old after a day or two.

Don't want to hijack this thread but we are heading to Kona in early November. Both DH and myself are master divers, DH does underwater video. We are also looking for a dive operation but need one with a camera friendly boat. It looks like Kona Divers is well liked, how many people do they take on their boats. We will be there for 6 diving days and would like to get at least 2 dives a day, I've noticed from my research that most boats don't do more than that except for the afternoon/night manta dive (which we will also do). We don't want to luge our gear back to the hotel every day so someone who stores gear is a must as well. I'm assuming whoever we choose can recommend lodging close by as well,since we haven't booked that yet.

Kona Dive Company is a camera friendly boat, and they move slow enough thru the water to actually be able to take pics. I hope that you plan on also doing some shore diving while there, but it sounds like you want them to hang on to your gear??? Kona, has awesome shore diving, and when I was there we alternated each day between boat and shore diving. When I go back, I might do a 2-tank Manta and a 3-tank long range, but the rest of my trip will be shore diving. KDC rents tanks, and will rotate rental tanks with you at the boat dock if you do both during your stay. As said, lots of good shore dives, and most of them are at the same spots that the boats are at. Place of Refuge is a long run south for the boat, so make sure you get there for a shore dive. You can keep it shallow there (20-30ft), or go over the edge and check out the wall with a sandy bottom at 104'.

KDC will store your regs and BC. You leave them with the crew and the boat and they will rinse and store your gear in between dive which is what I did with them. We took our wetsuits home to dry but you have the option of leaving them as well. They ask that you keep the smaller items like masks and fins.

When we arrived for our second dive with KDC our tanks were set up with our regs and BC's. When we handed them our dive bag with mask and fins they took the bag and then proceeded to take the mask and fins out and set them up with our already set up tanks. Very nice touch, I did appreciate the extra service.

Ive been on dive boats here in CA. You usually set up your own tanks and change them yourself in between dives. I usually don't mind since I can be a little compulsive about these things, but I have to admit that while on vacation it was nice to be pampered a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom