Recommendation for a diving outfit in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el_jefe_chingon

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have been a member for awhile, but never really posted much since I have not been diving in about 6 years. I will be attending a wedding in Kona in October. I'll be there for 10 days, and would like to go diving at least one or two days. I am looking for a recommenation for a good outfit in the Kona area. Keep in mind I am pretty rusty, and will want to go out with a group where I can take it slow and reacquaint myself with the gear and diving in general. Any recommendations or advice would be great
Thanks,
Gerry

Had good dives with Big Island Water Sports at Lahaina. Very good boat and great crew.

I've had great dives with Jack's Diving Locker.

I just dove with Kona Dive Company two weeks ago. Did 2 tank am dive and manta ray dive. They were awesome! Rented gear for my daughter. They provided her with the smaller AL64 tanks she prefers. When we arrived at the boat they had her name on her BC already set up with her tank and regs. We gave the crew our personal dive gear and when we got on board they had her wetsuit out folded in front of her station and mask and fins ready to go. They then got my gear out and set it up for me as well. After the first dive trip they kept our larger gear, we took home the wetsuits, mask, and fins. The next day out our gear was laid out for us, and when we boarded they set us up again. Big tips for the crew.

Our dive guides were great. We were paired up with another parent son team so we had divers of similar experienced together. Saw lots of life on the coral from both large ones like manta's on the night dive, a tig shark, and spotted eagle rays to small flat worms and nudibranchs.

And my daughter loved their brownies! We will definitely dive with them again.

Hire a DM to take you on a couple of shore dives, and spend the time reacquainting you with the underwater world. A refresher course is in order.

+1 for Kona Diving Co. Most of the operators leave from Honokohau Harbor just north of Kona so pick one you like.

+2 for Kona Diving Company. I have gone with them 2 years in a row and you will not find a better op. Tell them you are rusty and they will work with you on all of your dives.

+3 for Kona Dive Company, but as stated by Peter_C a refresher is in order, maybe not as a course, but make sure that the Dive Company knows that you havent been in the water for 6 years before you show up. Remember that Kona also has awesome shore dives, so dont hesitate to find someone who can take you to a place like "Place of Refuge" and give you a chance to get a great long dive in, and work on a few skills.

Back
Top Bottom