Recommend something w/ an easier kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Down Bubbles, Don't be fooled or mislead by entertaining folks (pescador775) who can not show their profile information. Drive up to Santa Barbara and I will show you smart fins, take you to lunch and we will find the right model of Force fin for you. Best Bob

Hey Bob, does that free lunch hold even if I already use Force Fins? :D

I would recommend the ForceFin Pros. I think that they will do all you ask. They are very maneuverable. I have VERY bad knees and ankles (sports injuries, horse kicked, etc.) I have yet to find them wanting and I dive with younger divers a lot.

Farce Fins, hah, hah, a lot of money for the experiment du jour. Those crude castings and childish bindings cannot compare with the technology used in much less expensive fins that are faster than Bob's and with low stress. Some years ago, major advances were made which allow manufacturers (real ones with expensive equipment) to fuse fundamentally different materials into a coherent and long lasting fins. Inherent in this new technology is the ability to create designs which take advantage of organic models like seal fins and fish fins. Bob is still throwing darts against the wallpaper but that is not how it is done.

wow, lotsa conflicting commercial interests on these boards...

I'll take a look at those mares, as well as the force fins.

they both look promising.

Down bubble, I'm just a diver like you. Trust someone who has been a freediver and spearfisherman longer than you have lived, the Mares fin is the one.

As far as the Force Fin, I'm expecting a check from Bob due to the fact that I have generated some much visibility for his fins. Meesier is just a stuck record, I've got the real scoop. Heck, Bob and his cronies have been doing some detective work on me looking for a profile and stuff. I expect that some of his scientology like followers will be knocking on my door if they can find it. Bob, I see a book deal in your future, suggest you call it Farsanetics.

Pescador775, My cronies, are you kidding ?. I just put up John Chatterton's words about his use of Force fins and supporting SUDS on ForceFin.com. Scientology?. Love Bob

I may be new but here's a little dissection of the Pescador775's post previous to his McCain-like "I GOT THE EXPERIENCE" speech ^^ (like that don't ya!)

1. "Those crude castings and childish bindings"
I don't know bout' you, but I got some old paddle fins as well! They were high performance for their day by the GREAT and VENERABLE company of Dacor! Yes, the Integra fins which have served me well... for the first 10 minutes of each dive until the sides of my feet hurt like hell from God knows what, but the foot pocket fits flush to my boots, and yet they still hurt like hell! with my brother's Force Fin Pros i could swim all day because of the TRULY open pocket, more like wraparound binding to really describe it, it doesn't constrict your foot as do the majority of other fins out there in the market and doesn't flex on your tarsals or metatarsals thus giving you the "normal" pain of the other less innovative designs.

2. "major advances were made which allow manufacturers (real ones with expensive equipment) to fuse fundamentally different materials into a coherent and long lasting fins"
Let me tell you this... these fins are VERY maneuvarable in the water by using "fundamentally different materials into a coherent and long lasting fins." Keep in mind that I'm a 260 pound guy who can't swim very well without fins, and believe me, I've tried A LOT of fins before, and I love these the most because of their short length, anatomically similar kick to the normal swimmer's kick, and the fact that they're durable enough to leave in my brother's car in the Las Vegas summer heat (yes, you've read that correctly, even on the strip where in parking lots with no cover whatsoever in 120+ degree heat for days on end... ^^)
and I don't know about you Pescador775, but I think being a manufacturer with a full American workforce is more than you can afford when you built your dive rig in your garage, so I wouldn't really say much on that aspect when you don't look at yourself first before judging. Anyone can hire a Taiwanese 1.15/day wage and put their French Mares or Aqualung stamp on it and call it advanced on paper!

3."the ability to create designs which take advantage of organic models like seal fins and fish fins"
hmmmm... lemme check... have you looked at a force fin lately? looks like a fish like fin to me! or have you not looked past what's inside that Bumble Bee can and seen the actual Albacore that swims in the sea? looks pretty organic to me! but the thing about the Mares Avanti Superchannel Full Foot... yes, it does look like a seal fin, but... when it comes to technologically advanced manufacturing techniques... it STILL uses rubber in it's design on the fin blade itself... doesn't Voit still use that on their swimming pool fins which get harder and harder over time as you leave them in the pool out of laziness? wait... I forgot a real diver wouldn't do that, but guess what... I can ^^ cuz' mine don't change or degrade for however long I leave them out in the elements, and anatomically speaking... Why would it really matter if they're organically modeled after seal fins anyway when we as humans operate at a COMPLETELY different way than they do in the wild (a seal's a piniped, WE are bipeds, and their kick is different than ours more like a pull with their anterior limbs that provide the majority of their power in their "kicking stroke". We on the other hand, when in the water use our feet still, anatomically speaking, in which the force of the kick is in the posterior position, thus negating the effect that a fin such as that would benefit us, necessitating the fact that we should use a fish type kick instead, thus what we are trying to accomplish with fins in the first place. ^^

and in the oppositional side...

1."Down Bubbles, Don't be fooled or mislead by entertaining folks (pescador775) who can not show their profile information. Drive up to Santa Barbara and I will show you smart fins, take you to lunch and we will find the right model of Force fin for you. Best Bob"

Here, you should give Mr. Evans here the credit that he extended the offer to our buddy Down Bubble here to test his product, offer him a sit down meal Q & A session, and not even forcing him to buy his product much like a Used Car Salesman would. Maybe instead of attacking this kind man, you should just keep the discussion in a professional manner by using more eloquence in your posts than aggravation, and test out the fins yourself before carrying on the onslaught.

oh yeah, this is castanagajt's brother by the way.

hm...

what I'm really looking for is a fin that I can use easily both underwater and on the surface of the water. I do about twice as much free diving as scuba diving, so this is important to me.

I'm willing to sacrifice some extreme superiority in certain areas (such as speed and ease of use under water) in exchange for a fin that works well in both areas without necessarily being the highest performer either on the surface or 60 feet below the surface.

hopefully that's clear.

Ok Down_B, you got an offer from Bob Evans to visit the factory and play. It's 133 miles - how long's that take over there in Lalaland - about 39 minutes?
You like 'em - fine. If not, that's ok too, but at least you can check out the source.
Good luck over there.

I do about twice as much free diving as scuba diving, so this is important to me.

hmm... it right,

now that you have clarified your intented purposes, I have to recommend something beyond fins.

as I said earlier, when it comes down to fins, the most important thing is the user, not the fin, you have to match the fin to YOUR intended purpose.

If you intend to mostly be freediving and you can't manage the heavy stiff long blade freedive fins. Then you need to find a new method to increase your abilities. The prime thing that I recommend is... SWIM MORE... this will increase your strength and allow you to any fin more effectively

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom