- Reaction score
- # of dives
- I just don't log dives
I'm currently looking into a Redundant Air Supply for recreational diving, and the only thing I'm unsure about is what size of tank to get. I've researched this enough to know to stick to 19cu or above.
A few questions:
- Most of my ~35 dives are solo, and around 30-60ft. I'm comfortable at 100ft other than lack of redundant air, or reliable dive buddy. I've been to 130, but it's not currently my intent to go that deep solo. The short story with solo-dives is the visibility/murkiness frequently drops to 1ft visibility and my main "dive buddy" is impatient, so I dive solo or not at all.
- Most of my current diving involves looting the floor of a murky lake-bed for sunglasses. I'll probably eventually get into technical diving, but that's probably 1.5+ years away. Travel isn't a primary concern at this time.
- Each trip is usually 2x dives, 1-hour, on aluminum 80s. I'm not concerned about gas management, I always have plenty of air. I am mostly concerned about potential for tank-valve/hose/regulator failure.
- Much of my diving is off a regular (non-dive) boat, with a small annoying ladder, which might make doubles difficult, but not impossible.
- 19 cu - would be the most streamlined, lightest, and least intrusive. The downside being I'd probably never use it for anything else.
- 30 to 40 cu - would potentially have additional uses for short/shallow dives (with a 3cf spare-air I acquired) or for when I get into tech-diving. Would a tank this size be relatively out-of-the-way when front-mounted while sunglasses-hunting? Is the size/weight between 30cf and 40cf noticeable?
- 80 cu (Doubles) - Double 80s, rear mounted, with independent regulators. I could refill both before each dive, and alternate regulators regularly, so each tank has similar PSI. My biggest concern is the weight and potential for back-injury, while climbing into or out of a boat on a small ladder a bunch of times.
A few questions:
- What are the pros and cons of front vs rear mount? Do people attach 30/40 cu bottles rear-mount?
- When running front-mount with a 30 or 40 cu, do you usually detach your spare-tank before climbing into the boat?
- Does anyone wear a back-brace (in addition to backplate) while scuba-diving with doubles? Or am I over-thinking it? I only just got a backplate this week, and I have twisted my back (lightly sore 1-2 days) while running a singles on a somewhat floppy BCD.