Recommend dive operation for U-352?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I contacted Olympus but was told that they wouldn't decide where they were going until the boat left the dock. I can understand that weather might interfere with plans but I don't want to drive from Missouri and find out that no one ever *intended* to dive the sub that weekend.

Can anyone advise a dive center that might at least commit to "try" to dive the sub on a given weekend?

I contacted Olympus but was told that they wouldn't decide where they were going until the boat left the dock. I can understand that weather might interfere with plans but I don't want to drive from Missouri and find out that no one ever *intended* to dive the sub that weekend.

Can anyone advise a dive center that might at least commit to "try" to dive the sub on a given weekend?

You may be better off with a smaller boat/operation like Tortuga Charters. tortuga dive charters

It's s six pack and if you can fill it with divers who want to dive the sub, Capt James will make every effort to get you there, weather permitted. I dove with Tortuga Charters in May and again in September of this year. Our group had all the spots on the boat so we decided the wrecks we'd dive each day if weather permitted.

You have to realize that there are no guarantees when diving NC wrecks because the weather/ sea conditions dictate.

Good luck!

You may be better off with a smaller boat/operation like Tortuga Charters. tortuga dive charters

It's s six pack and if you can fill it with divers who want to dive the sub, Capt James will make every effort to get you there, weather permitted. I dove with Tortuga Charters in May and again in September of this year. Our group had all the spots on the boat so we decided the wrecks we'd dive each day if weather permitted.

You have to realize that there are no guarantees when diving NC wrecks because the weather/ sea conditions dictate.

Good luck!

+1 on Tortuga Charters! Great service and will go to the sub as long as the ocean permits.

Many divers on Olympus want to dive the sub. After factoring in weather conditions, the majority on the boat typically will pick the spot that the Olympus or Midnight Express will go to. So, if you are coming down to Morehead by yourself, or with a buddy, you may not be the majority, but you may be in the company with a group(s) that wants to do the same dive. It's good, and well worth going to to see a real piece of history like the U-352. After you get that dive in, and you see the sub (it's smaller than you think, and you can easily see the entire wreck in NDL's, on one tank), go to the Papoose, the Shurz, the Naaco (far offshore), and many of the other offshore wrecks there. You will see that they are as good or better than the sub. But, like most others, I HAD to see that U Boat. I've been on it many times, and only really enjoy it now when I dive with someone who hasn't seen it.

If you can fill a six pack, take ScubaSam's advice. I have not been on Tortuga's dive boat, but am planning it for 2011. There is nothing like chartering a boat that will hit all the spots that you request.

Bear in mind the weather again. It has to be safe to go 30 miles offshore (the captain is thinking about the run out, the dive time on two wrecks, and the run back - The run normally takes 2 hours, oneway). NC can be rough, and I've spent many dive days bouncing around. But we have also had great dive days, flat as glass and maybe an occasional roller or two. It's a crap shoot. I understand your concern about driving from Missouri, that's far (but still worth it). I drive from north of Philly, and it's still far. But the diving, and the southern hospitality is all worth it. Have fun.

Safe diving to you.

The folks from Olympus and Discovery are great, and they go to the U-352 alot. It is just hard to promise a destination to one or 2 people on a crew boat. They will make every effort to please the greatest number of divers on the boat, all the while considering the safety of all the passengers.

Discovery has a 6 pack in the Captain's Lady and the other one (besides Tortuga) is Atlantis IV and we all will do our best to go where the customers desire. It is just easier to charter a 6 pack than an entire crew boat. The inverse of that is that it is harder to get one or two seats on a running 6 pack.

Also worthy of note in the 6 pack category in Morehead is that there is a new one moored at Olympus. It is the Thomas S and right now I believe he is staying inshore but that could change. I think Olympus takes their bookings.

I would love to have you dive Tortuga, but I really want to make sure you dive NC. The fleet here will work really hard to make sure you get the experience you came for!

Weather permitting the groups almost always choose the sub.

Thanks all. I found a couple of spots on a scheduled charter with a different operation.:D

Discovery Diving is the operator I scheduled with.

At Discovery, if you start the charter, you can choose the destination. Weather permitting, the captains will try to get you to the destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom