Recommend budget ultrasonic cleaner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago I picked up one of these jewelry cleaners off eBay for around $50, then later got a heating lab model from a guy. I can't tell that either one works better, they both generate the bubbles, and stuff gets clean. The lab model will handle bigger items, but is seriously heavy.

Ultrasonic cleaners performance is relative to the quality of the "transducer". It is this part of the equipment that makes the job done for the good or with less quality. There are models that comes with one or two transducers. The quality of the transducesr incease the cost of the equipment. Also you can decide to purchase it with heater or no heater at all. From efficient stand point a good quality ultrasonic with heater and timer is the way to go. But the rality is that salt or calcium deposits are easy to remove with an avearage grade ultrasonic. The heat addition makes the difference (beleive me) so if you do not afford to get one with heater, warm the water on the stove before placing the parts (150deg) and be carefull no to overheat your components. Remember that your best friend is vinegar solution. For good those of you looking for good quality ultrasonic equipment and special tools for small places try this;

Guesswein Co.
Rio Grande Co.
Cas-Ker

They are Jewerlry Industry Supplier and that is the place were Ultrasonic business born. Happy Cleaning!

I don't doubt that the HF unit is adequate for the prior posters needs but the 3 minute time is probably more a function of duty cycle than time required. For the money (On sale NOW!) I might even spring for one.

Other than the obvious tank you're looking at an signal generator, amplifier and a piezo element that converts electrical to mechanical energy. Essentially it's a screaming tweeter. Other than a few stray harmoics it's above our hearing range. I have been around Branson equipment for decades (mainly their untra-sonic welding gear) and they are industrial grade with a commensurate price tag.

I would not hesitate to look for a used but good quality one. A few years ago I bought a .5 gal Crest with heater for $100. I thought that to be a great deal - just had to sterilize it first as it came from a tattoo shop. Just make sure you get a basket as you do not want parts sitting on the bottom of the pan.

I've been using a Harbor Freight, Chicago Tools brand US cleaner for over a year, not continuous use but my regs are clean and so is anything else I drop in there.
Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter

We have several of these in the shop (each with a different cleaning solution for different purposes), and use them every day. They usually last a few years, even with our heavy usage.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2014 at 06:00 PM ----------

Remember that your best friend is vinegar solution.

Just be careful when using vinegar as it can actually remove the chrome from your brass pieces. I would suggest doing plastic bits in a soapy water solution instead of vinegar.

Also, according to Scubapro, you shouldn't put anything made of aluminum (e.g. the adjustment knob of a G250V or most of a MK20UL) in the ultrasonic.

I would highly recommend EJ Electronics.

I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner from them a couple of years ago, and it still works perfectly and i have not had any maintenance trouble with it at all.

Let me know if this was useful for you :)

I have the small HF too, which DOES heat the water. It comes with a plastic basket. I got a stainless steel one from IKEA in their kitchen area, it was supposed to be a tableware holder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom