Recommend books on marine conservation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
You'd think I'd have a list, but I don't. Too much time spent underwater, editing and writing my own stuff to actually read anything by anyone else.

I'm looking for recommendations from others here on SD regarding books that cover the subjects of marine ecology, policy issues, conservation, etc. I've been asked to draw up a short list for someone who has an excellent mind and a developing interest in the subject. She is not well-versed in it though and is looking for "introductory" (in terms of topics not writing style) books on these subjects.

Doc

You could try the sales area of the Marine Conservation Society website. Look under the books sections, there's a few in there on marine conservation that might interest her. http://www.mcsuk.org
And, of course, if she buys anything from the website, the money goes to a charity dedicated to marine conservation... Which is always good! :)

Thanks, Amy- good suggestion. I'll look the site over and give Nicole my recommendations and suggest she look at it too.

Good luck with your studies!

Doc

No problem, and thanks!

Though I am probably a little biased, as I'm the Seasearch coordinator for the MCS Plymouth Local Group! :wink:

(But still, there's some good books on the site!) :)

Also, she could maybe try doing the PADI Project AWARE and AWARE - Coral Reef Conservation specialties?

I've just done mine, and I thought they were great. It was the first time my instructor had taught it, and I basically taught him cos I knew more about it than he did :wink: (having just covered a lot of it in my degree course at uni, and also other stuff I've picked up along the way).

I think they're worth a look anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom