Recomendations for San Diego Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubbasbaitshop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning on a dive trip to San Diego the first weekend in Dec. Could use some recommendations on a dive shop in the area. Prefer boat dives due to the need for a dive buddy. Would also like to know if a 5M full and a 5M hooded shorty will be enough neoprene or due I need to bring a 7M with me. If there are must do dives, would like to know as well.

Thanks

How deep do you plan on diving?

Where will you be staying. There are dive shops scattered all around San Diego, although we've lost a few due to the economy. House of Scuba is my current favorite (cause it's closest) House of Scuba - San Diego Scuba diving equipment, wetsuits, snorkel equipment, gifts and gear

Divebums has links to all the dive shops, and a lot of other good information. Be sure to check out the Visiting? section. Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

Here is the California Dive Boat list, San Diego is at the bottom. California Dive Boats : The Official Page

Must do boat dives include the Yukon, wreck alley, NEL tower, the kelp beds if the viz is ok (doubtful in December) and Los Coronados, which usually has the best viz. La Jolla shores is a popular shore dive if you like slugs, La Jolla Cove is a good introduction to the SoCal underwater ecology: Garibaldi, lobster, crab, abalone, urchins, maybe a GSB.

Was planning on using my 5m full and my 5M Bear hooded shorty on top. I have been to 48 degrees here locally with it but not for an extended dive. Sounds like I need to either rent a 7M while I am there or see about picking one up here locally before I leave. Have not dove a dry suit and don't have the time to get enough dives in before I leave to feel comfortable with it.

As far as depth, open to whatever I can find.

Where - We have not booked a hotel or picked a location as of yet. Wanted to get some ideas of where to dive etc before I booked my hotel. One of the dives I would really like to do is the Kelp forest. Other than that, will dive what ever the weather permits.

Thanks and I really appreciate the comments. Hope the weather cooperates and I can get some diving in.

I don't get chilled easily, and I dive a 7mm full with a 5/3 hooded vest, 5mm boots and gloves here in San Diego. Usually half the boat or more will be diving drysuits.

The three main dive boats all leave from Mission Bay. I have heard out-of-towners on the boats mention the Dana and Hyatt as hotels at which they were staying.

As mentioned, House of Scuba is not too far from Mission Bay, neither is Dive California. Ocean Enterprises is the big shop in town, a little further away. But any of the boats should be able to hook you up if you let them know your needs when you make reservations.

Boat Schedules:

Marissa
Lois Ann
Humboldt

You might look at the schedules and make your decisions based on what is available when you will be in town. Note that these are tentative schedules and the boats must have minimum pax loads to operate.

As to must-do dives, everyone has their opinion. Mine is that the Yukon is not to be missed when you dive here. Have fun!

If anyone would be kind enough to take an out of towner shore diving, I could use a dive buddy on Sat or Sunday Dec 4/5. Or if there are local clubs doing some shore dives or boat dives, might join in the fun.

Again thanks for all of the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom