Rechargeable batteries, power questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee,

I thought I read that I couldn't use Li Ion batteries in a strobe? Sure would like to but for now I'll stick with NiMH.

Any enlightening info?

Balls

No, you're right. I read in the manual for the D-180 today NOT to use the lithium rechargeables. I'll stick to the NiMH. I've been very pleased with them and really have no reason to want to change.

If you dive cold water on dives long enough for the camera or strobe to cold soak, NiCads will often perfrom better than a NiMH that may take a dump on you when it gets cold. I also use nicads in R/C aircraft and boat applications and they will handle amazing current demands that would toast other batteries.

I tend to go the multiple sets of NiCads route in my Oly 4000 as they are cheap and can be quick charged on the boat if neccesary without me being really concerned about shortening their useful life.

The down side of course is that you have to open the housing and change the batteries between dives with the requirement to carefully dry everything, keep the o-ring clean and properly reseal the housing. So it could be argued that the risk of flooding is increased with this approach. There really are no free rides.

I have noticed with nicads that the voltage is very stable right up to near the end of the battery charge while an alkaline does a longer slower decline. So alkalines last longer but not at the same peak voltage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom