Rechargeable Batteries for Dive Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
For the record, the Accupower batteries I'm using cost $15/2-pack compared to your $10/2-pack, but they are 6000mAh batteries instead of the 2200mAh Rayovacs you have.

Holy cr@p I have milliamp-hour envy. The ones I've got are good for 500 charges (or maybe it was 1000), but if I can ever use them up I know which batteries I'm buying next!

MoonWrasse:
But what recharger are you using?

BTW, yes that's true about the falloff curve for rechargables -vs- alkies, however some devices don't tollerate the lower 1.2 voltage most rechargables deliver. Over 8 batteries that's a 2.4V difference.
On the other hand, some devices like my old Kodak camera doesn't like Alkies very much due to the curve.

Also the UK site of the HID lists NiMH or Nicad Cells, but not Lion batteries.
http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/detail.php?ProductID=5&cat=6
Yup. That's one reason I didn't go for the rechargeables until I had a bunch of confirmed reports of people using them in the UK lights. Good catch on the Li-Ion non-listing. They might be ok, I suppose, listed or not, but considering the rate Li-Ion batteries get "used up" (compare your laptop battery and your cellphone battery for instance, neither Li-Ion battery holds a charge NEARLY as well after 2-3 years, if you're lucky, you have to be careful about maintaining the proper charge, etc., etc.) and for something simple like a light I think I'm happier with NiMH recahrgeables anyway, until someone proves to me why Li-Ion would be better in that application and has actually tried it in the real world vs. paper. Esp. considering Li-Ion is usually more expensive than NiMH.

Sanyo has a new type of NIMH called "Eneloop." They are very low self-discharge. They retain 80 percent of their charge after 1 year and come in the pack fully charged. These are ideal for dive applications (and especially cameras), but so far only available in AA and AAA. While their rated capacity is lower (I think 2100mah for the AA), if you charge both after a couple of days the eneloop will be ahead. They are pretty cool and can be charged in a normal nimh/nicad charger.

Normal NIMH lose their first 50 percent capacity in about a month.

If I could find some in Guam I'd upgrade my UK eLED Q40+ which is a great little light. As was mentioned I can never remember how long its burned so I end up tossing alkalines that are probably 50 percent used. I think they are available at circuit city stateside.

Back
Top Bottom