Recent Seismic activity in the Atlantic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My surfer son just got back in from surfing...He said the waves are breaking very strange...let me qualify my son...pro-am surfer, expert weather forcaster and knows the local break like the back of his hand.

He said yesterday that a huge wave set hit Virginia Beach, about 25 waves in all and they came out of nowhere...He is theorizing the our strange waves in Cocoa Beach are a result of reflections from the Bahamas. The tropical wave over Hispanol wouldn't effect our waves yet

Another tidbit...he said a submarine surfaced 2 miles off Va beach...were they trying to avoid some weird surge action?

that sub was OOA do you??? :tease:

Thanks for the info though... let us know what you find!

cudachaser once bubbled...
Another tidbit...he said a submarine surfaced 2 miles off Va beach...were they trying to avoid some weird surge action?
They do occasionally let those subs back into port.

Norfolk Naval base is nearby, as is Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock --- both frequent destinations for subs.

Those subs have at least 4 or 5 tanks of air, like probably 2 0r 3 sets of doubled up 125s or something, I doubt it was out of air...

Thats also why you never see fat guys on subs, cause they can't afford any air hogs to suck down the tanks too fast...:D

You speak as though I would do something as outlandish as put a flamingo on my head! Poppycock!!! :tease: But seriously, maybe the sub should breathe off of it's bladder if it's ever OOA.

probably plays havoc with their buoyancy as well! I can see the new movie... "Run silent, run stinky!" :tease:

On yet another front... has there been anything else heard about the seismic activity?

There was a group of 5 small quakes clustered around Puerto Rico over the last week... none over 3.9.
California has had a very active week, but still small... 3.1 or less for the most part.
There was a 5.4 in northern Alaska on Thursday.
There was a 4.9 on the southern tip of Iceland Saturday at 2am UTC.
Cluster of <>5-6 surrounding Aus....

The one in Iceland seems most likely to have an effect here, as it was on the trench.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom