Recent Opinions On Air Integrated Computers For Technical Diving

Where does air integration fit in your diving?

• I have no use for air integration

Votes: 39 25.8%
  • I would use air integration but it is too expensive

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • I use air integration for rec diving but SPGs for technical diving

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I use air integration for technical diving with an SPG as a backup

Votes: 49 32.5%
  • I am interested in air integration but I am too comfortable to switch from my SPGs

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I use air integration for all my diving

Votes: 42 27.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Scuba Cobra the failure is often not as dangerous underwater as it is above water, especially if the gauges read high to begin with. They may not be "Stuck" but reading high and you can assume you just got a really good fill. The transmitters are solid-state pressure transducers and don't exhibit that kind of failure mode. Their normal failure mode is just straight up failure to transmit anything or in very rare cases truly erratic readings where it will bounce all over the place. I have never heard of that type of failure mode in these, but we see them every once in a while in industrial applications. I.e. a scale with a 10t load cell will start reading 14t when you have a 6t load on it then the next one will read 1. Again, very rare, we see it once every 8-10yrs or so and usually after they get grossly overloaded by a knucklehead operator, but it can happen if they can damaged.

@The Chairman yeah I need to get some of those for mine

if only the @Shearwater would give any sort of battery indication it would be a lot more predictable. I replace them before a long dive and then go back to old ones for short open water dives if I'm teaching or in a quarry type thing until the low battery light comes on, but I've found that once it comes on you have about an hour which is a problem on cave/technical dives

I got a transmitter battery low warning on my Perdix this weekend. It is a feature.

The only purpose I see for AI is to take an accurate SAC reading for future dive planning. Other than that, I love my SPG way too much to let it go for AI.

I got a transmitter battery low warning on my Perdix this weekend. It is a feature.

and I recommend changing it before the next trip. It comes up and doesn't last very long after that. For a recreational dive it's no problem. If you're doing a 4 hour cave dive and it shows up 10 mins into the dive, well it won't last until the end....

Reactions: Jay
It is actually a RF signal, 58kHz as I remember, not acoustic.

Depends on the brand, PPS is 38KHz. Suunto is 123KHz. If you are really bored you can look up the transmitters on the FCC site to get the rest.

Depends on the brand, PPS is 38KHz. Suunto is 123KHz. If you are really bored you can look up the transmitters on the FCC site to get the rest.
Ah, thanks, 38 not 58 kHz. So much for my memory. What were we talking about?

I'm not a fan of WAI myself, but the point is that an SPG can fail and stick, leaving you with the impression that you have more gas than you actually have (this has happened to me).

If that happens, the issue is not the cost of replacement.

Another reason IMO for redundant gas to be SOP on every dive. Who uses an SPG backup for their SPG? Hey another poll!

Another reason IMO for redundant gas to be SOP on every dive. Who uses an SPG backup for their SPG? Hey another poll!

Well, since we are talking about tech diving, it already is. Lost gas contingency, etc...

Well, since we are talking about tech diving, it already is. Lost gas contingency, etc...

Thank you even though it is the tech section I was referring to all dive rec or tech. I keep forgetting this demarking between tec and rec in my mind it's all sport diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom