Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All,

Thanks Chris for sharing your story with us.
I've added an attachment which shows more what happened over there.
(Sorry of all the spelling mistakes over there).
Anyway, I agree with most of your conclutions, but to emphsize more what you wrote, I'd say:
"Never ever lose your buddy. He needs you the way you need him. Besides, Scubadiving is a social experience- Just relax and share it with your partner".

BTW: I started my div with 2800psi and finished it with 1400psi.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 119
Hi Chris & Gilad,
I believe this was a first time for you to buddy up. The mistakes made are common ones but should be avoided for both divers safety. Your story shows the importances of not taking for granted the experience of a buddy and the need to communicate before a dive.

Not only does it sound as though there was a lack of communication but it seems that each of you ignored standard operating procedures for a recreational dive. That being when separated from your buddy search 1 minute and then regroup on the surface.

As for agreeing on speed, there really is no need just don't push your buddy to go any faster than they can comfortably. The time to work on cardio is on the surface.

Improving your SAC rate will come with time and experience as you slow down and become more relaxed underwater. The only other ways to improve your breathing is by better general physical conditioning and monitoring your breathing cadence.

Wow, that's a detailed map!

You went a long way - is this a practiced route, or just a plan for that day?

Gilad: the island you swam around was actually the second island out on the map, you show yourself swimming around the 3rd island, which is very much further out there. We were nowhere close to that. I'm sure it may have seemed that far. Everything should be moved in by one island.

Rabbit: Yes, first time buddy. We discussed a lot of things before our dive...unfortunately, the one thing we did not discuss was our plan if we were separated.

Jax: The plan was to go down at the buoy, go east in the canyon between the first and second island, then turn around and come back and swim the wall south of Two Cow Rd all the way back. We got separated shortly after the turn around.

I take responsibility for swimming too fast, perhaps being too ambitious. We had a very good after-action discussion (over Starbucks) about the importance of everything listed above.

Gilad: the island you swam around was actually the second island out on the map, you show yourself swimming around the 3rd island, which is very much further out there. We were nowhere close to that. I'm sure it may have seemed that far. Everything should be moved in by one island.

Rabbit: Yes, first time buddy. We discussed a lot of things before our dive...unfortunately, the one thing we did not discuss was our plan if we were separated.

Jax: The plan was to go down at the buoy, go east in the canyon between the first and second island, then turn around and come back and swim the wall south of Two Cow Rd all the way back. We got separated shortly after the turn around.

I take responsibility for swimming too fast, perhaps being too ambitious. We had a very good after-action discussion (over Starbucks) about the importance of everything listed above.

U R right !
My mistake.
Then all moves one island towards the east.
Still doesn't make any different to the incident.
Only makes JAX more impressed :D.

Reactions: Jax
Is anyone available for some diving at Lake Pleasant during the week?

I PM'd you my information.

But for anyone else looking for a buddy anytime. I am open to dive the lake whenever my schedule allows. I own my own business so I am pretty flexible. I will dive anytime because I want to be in the water as much as possible.

If you need a buddy, pm me and I will send you my contact information.

Scott Cadreau

Desert Tortoise today was 30+ (could see the sand on my anchor from the surface) and 57* at 40 feet. Had an OW student so didn't dip below.

Bass are starting to gather in the shallows so the spawn must be getting close.

Algae trees are blooming. I wish I could have had my camera today because there is a little "cliff" where we were and it looked like something out of a jungle with the algae strands hanging off of it.

Hopeing to go to Pleasant tomorrow. 3-29-11 If anyone is interested let me know. My ability to go will be limited by how much I get done today, but it looks promising.

Jeff

Dove at Vista Point today. Visibility has dropped quite a bit since last week. I would say 20-25 feet with silt clouds (probably algae) at different levels, but usually was around 30 ft. depth. Water temp is mid 50's at depth.

On a good note, lots of fish compared to last week. Last week I saw few, today lots! Saw a school of carp (never knew they schooled, I've only seen them in small groups) probably 30+ fish and most of decent size. The Bass must be in spawn mode, they were charging me when I got close to the areas that they were hanging out (20-30 ft)

Jeff

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom