Recent Increase In Great White Encounters SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WA. State could consider hiring professional shark hunters to hunt potentially threatening animals.
Tim Clarke Nov 2013

Just want to point out that this is a news article from Western Australia, not Washington State, in case anyone was as confused as I was.

And the same area is instituting a more agreeable method of protecting people in the water.

On a separate note as I was swimming the 700 meters out to the kelp tonight I was humming the Jaws theme, my partner did not find it funny as I did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With respect to the increases in GWS and sea lions, it is important to consider what baseline is used to measure this. A century ago sea lion numbers were much smaller in SoCal due to hunting of them for oil and to put in zoos and aquaria. They are rebounding from low population levels following this period of exploitation. I'd be interested in knowing what their population levels were say about 1800. Of course the Spanish explorers and clergy were more interested in gold and saving souls than in scientific investigation.

Well crap... this isn't good news. I'm going to be back at La Jolla in a few days. I had planned on doing a little surfing there.. no diving. Are great whites in Guadalupe this time of year or are they still in So. Cal? I know they migrate.

I don't know if I can enjoy surfing thinking a 14 footer could be stalking the beaches and I'm sitting on some little board with my limbs dangling below. I never worried too much as I heard they left the area around August and came back in February or so according to a buddy in the area. I could never verify this info. I think he might have been trying to ease my mind.

Back
Top Bottom