Recent Accident Now Having Medical Concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A down swell can happen very quickly and in my situation, our first indication was having to clear our ears. We were just to the point of a 3-4 minute 15ft safety stop when all of a sudden, we were pulled down to around 70-80 feet in just seconds. It happens very quickly. After being pulled down, we noticed lots of bubbles swirling around and going in all directions. Kicking hard, inflation out BC's helped, but our method of getting back to 15 ft involved swimming perpendicular to the down-swell. It was a slim stream heading down and was easy to see if you were not in it. Once we made it to the surface, we were in what appeared to be the top of a washing machine, about 50 feet across. We could not swim out of it and had to remain swirling around until the dive boat was able to maneuver to us. This entire incident was quite scary to the two woman with me. Several other divers in the group were able to swim out of the swirl, but to keep the two others i was with, I remained with them at the surface until the boat arrived. Bottom line, it is a freak occurrence and one that is hard to plan for.

I am doing much better know after treatment. Ihave had a tremor in my hand which has slowed down and in time I have been told it will go away, since it is now not an on going concern. I have been back in the water since the incident, I actually just got back from diving. It was nice to get back into the swing of things though

What ever happened I'm really glad things are getting better for you and you are back in the water. I hope you have many safe dives there.

Take care

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom