Reccomend a shorty wetsuit and BCD for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superwormy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The fiancee and I are just getting into diving (will be finished with our Open Water PADI course this weekend) and are looking into getting some BCDs and wetsuits.

Can anyone give me some recommendations as to what to look for, or a recommended brand or model (yes, I know fit is the most important thing, just looking for a starting point)? There's like 30 million choices out there and I'm having a hard time finding any sort of buyer's guide.

We plan on diving some around our area (Connecticut, USA) in the summer when it's warmer, and then we have a trip planned to Grand Cayman as well. Some thoughts:

- Shorty wetsuits (but will these be warm enough for summer diving in Connecticut, USA?)

- We're both on the smaller, shorter side- both about 5'6", 125lbs and 140lbs

- Prices seem to range from like $50 to $800+, how much difference is there really?

- Any particularly desirable features or gotchas we should watch out for?

Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Opinions will definitely vary on this subject, so get ready.

Fit should be your number 1 concern for both Wetsuits and BCDs. A good-fitting wetsuit will keep you far warming than a poorly fitting one. A poor fitting BCD will slide around and make it difficult for you to maintain good trim as well as feel comfortable underwater. As far as cost is concerned shop around locally and online, most local dive shops are willing to come close to matching online prices. Leisurepro.com has a good policy on returns, if it doesn't fit they will pay the return shipping and pay to ship you another size of wetsuit for you to try on.

Thickness of wetsuit is definitely a factor as well as shorty vs. full suit. Keep in mind that the deeper you dive the more the suit compresses and the less warmth it then has. Having spent 5 years in New England I know the water doesn't exactly get "warm," with that being said, cold-tolerance will vary, so maybe you should try renting some suits to see how tolerant you both are. Also keep in mind you can add a 3 mm hooded vest and it will make a world of difference if you are feeling cold. If you plan on doing multiple dives over multiple days then you will tend to get more chilled. I would say look in the 5mm direction for a wetsuit.

As far as BCDs are concerned there are many many options to consider, but it would be easier to break it down in 2 categories: Back-inflate BCDs and Jacket-BCDs.

Back-inflate BCDs contain an air bladder which is at your back, and these typically deliver the best trim. The downside of back-inflate BCDs is when you are on the surface they tend to throw you forward when inflated so it is easier to rest and surface swim laying on your back at the surface with this style of BCD. Many people are fans of a back-inflate BCD known as a backplate and wing setup, which I am also a fan of, but I will let others cover that.

Jacket-style BCDs contain and air bladder which surrounds the diver. At the surface the diver is kept in a vertical position. Some people say these don't deliver as well in the trim category, others complain that they can squeeze the sides of divers as the air bladder encompasses the back and sides of the diver.

Last edited:
I'd think of a full suit of some sort---either a 3/2 or 3....

BC's?--Id go with a Scout by Zeagle...

Opinions will definitely vary on this subject, so get ready.

Oh I'm ready. :)

... so maybe you should try renting some suits to see how tolerant you both are. Also keep in mind you can add a 3 mm hooded vest and it will make a world of difference if you are feeling cold.

Thanks, that's a good idea! Didn't know you could do that!

Keep the thoughts/feedback coming! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom