Rebuilt or replace valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flea Dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have old J-valves on my tanks. I am going to have them set up for nitrox. Should I have the valves overhauled and cleaned or just replace them with new nitrox ready H-valves?

Thanks for the help.

H valves cost what? about $130-$160 each? J-valves run about $5 to $15 used maybe? (you hardly see them for sale).

If you just had leaky J-valves and wanted to rebuilt them or replace them with K-valves, I'd say buy K-valves. but the H-valves are a big price difference.

Thanks, I did mean K-valves not H-valves. (old age). The J-valves are not leaking, but will need cleaning etc. A new nitrox ready K-valve will run $40+.

Anybody want to buy a couple old J-valves. ;-)

Flea Dog:
I have old J-valves on my tanks. I am going to have them set up for nitrox. Should I have the valves overhauled and cleaned or just replace them with new nitrox ready H-valves?

Thanks for the help.

Invest in a couple of good K-Valves now. For what it's worth, you might want to consider Pro-Dins. They give you the option of using standard yoke or DIN fitting. Their adoption would improve re-sale or make life more convenient for you, if you need both fittings.

Flea Dog:
Thanks, I did mean K-valves not H-valves. (old age). The J-valves are not leaking, but will need cleaning etc. A new nitrox ready K-valve will run $40+.

For 40 bucks get the new K valves.

That is cheap.

Why bother with a valve that has as its primary function to cut off your air supply at an unpredictable moment, usually toward the end of a dive when you are cold and tired and possibly a mite disoriented? Also a Lt. Mike Fitzgerald of the U.S. Navy Safety Center tested J-valves during inspections in the 1980s. Almost all failed to function properly.

Flea Dog:

For the $40 bucks, get the new valves.

Labor and parts for rebuilding the valve could run close to $25-$40 and then you still have an old J valve that still might leak.

buy new valves and know you have good new valves.

you might even get the shop to take them as trade in? (but I doubt it).

that Valve that Tom pointed to above in the URL seems like a great deal.

mike_s:
that Valve that Tom pointed to above in the URL seems like a great deal.

I've bought gear from the guy and he seems to run a professional operation, although I never met him.

Back
Top Bottom