Rebuilding regulator and BCD I just bought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv, are you looking for a pin spanner to separate the body from the end cap? Those are fairly common.

I haven't seen anyone mention a bullet tool. You will need one of those. VDH as them or I also have one that is not in my catalog. Another tool to consider is a vise tool. You screw it into a LP or HP port on the body to give you some place to hold on to while you unscrew the cap.

Drop me a PM with your email address if you want a catalog.

Just like that you are reading my mind. The bullet tool is the part which looks like a little black plastic hose end. It is for installing the piston by sticking it to the end of the piston when you push it in, right?

The vise tool you mentioned is the metal bolt-like with threads on both ends?

Does anyone know links to get these?
Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I am scrolling through this thread from Noa8877 several times but have not seen anyone recommended on G250 kit, which I am also looking for.

The kit I found on VintageDoubleHose has a disclaimer saying that the kit is only for s-wing (s-wing is the white part which replaces the blue poppet inside the air barrel?), not for blue poppet. So, in order for me to know what I have, I need to take things apart first? or if there is anyway to tell like a part number, style, etc?
In case I need to replace it, does anyone know a link to find it? I don't see it on VintageDoubleHose website.
Is this the only way, or is there a kit that can go with the old blue poppet?

Thanks in advance.

This is the youtube I am watched.

The bullet tool .....& vice tool -the metal bolt-like with threads on both ends?

Both are available from @herman
In the video referred to from VDH you can see the old style blue poppet around 8:10
Yes, you'll have to take your regulator apart to see which poppet you have. If it's the old style, the seat is not replaceable. In that case, you'll also need the s-wing poppet.
available from @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose or @buddhasummer

Have a look at the attachment I've included for more info on poppets.

Attachments

• Scubapro poppet changes.pdf
    813.4 KB · Views: 101
It looks like I just killed the virginity of my new, or new upgrade/service, G250. When I opened it up, I was amazed how clean/nice, and "new" it is. There is not even a single dust inside. All I can see was grease on the air barrel.
Does it look newly serviced to everyone? Should I just go dive with it, or should I order the part and do the service before I can trust it?

IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1803.JPG

If you already had a kit available, I would say service it. As you don't, put it back together (after inspecting all of the parts) and see how it performs. My guess is you'll have issues with the seat-but try it anyway. It'll be good practice. Most failures should be apparent with the inspection checklist that I'm sure you read by now, right?
Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

yes, check the check list more than once. When drawing at the mouth piece while covering up with my finger where the hose connect to, it's very tight.... I think I'll order the kit and do it anyway for a peace of mind, and since it's opened up.
Good thing I have the updated poppet :D

Why do you think I would have problem with the seat (the black piece on the right end of the poppet)? Can you explain?

Thanks Couv.

That does look very clean inside. The red o-rings might be original; they're certainly SP. For some reason, I have found that the SP red o-rings tend to dry up and crack more quickly than most of the others. So you could replace those with new epdm or nitrile 016 o-rings. You still need to remove the orifice; that might have a red o-ring too, that one should be a 902. The reason couv thinks you might have a problem with the seat is that it probably has a groove worn in it that matches the edge of the orifice, and when you put it back together they won't match up perfectly, and leak. I find that to be more of an issue with the HP seats in the 1st stages. Just look at the seat; if you see a big circular groove, replace it, if not, keep using it.

That's a nice looking 2nd stage that you will get a lot of use from.

Thanks halocline,
Do you know if the 016, 902 o-rings, and the seat come with the service kit. Is this what most people on this board use?
Store | Vintage Double Hose

PS: what you said makes me want to come back and get the other reg left from him :lol:

Do you know if the 016, 902 o-rings, and the seat come with the service kit. Is this what most people on this board use?
@halocline answered the question re the seat.
The -902 is definitely part of the kit. I'm reasonably certain @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose includes ALL of the o-rings in his kits, not just the seals called out as annual replacement. That is one very good reason to purchase his rather than a NOS kit of theBay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom