Rebuilding my own regs Rocks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
While in Palau I got seriously ill on one of my dives and lost my breakfast through the 2nd stage (Apeks ATX200). Some of this breakfast got lodged in the exhaust valve, so the reg flooded and became impossible to breath from as I was getting more water than gas through it :11:... Glad I had a backup!

After the dive I took it apart and rinsed it out and unplugged the exhaust valve and the reg worked fine for the rest of the trip.

So yesterday I *finally* got around to rebuilding it and the other regs I have that are due for service. I took that reg apart and HOLY GUACAMOLE!! ... Just that short salt water exposure left a lot of residue and surface corrosion on the metal parts, even after rinsing it with fresh water :11:

A bath in the US cleaner with some vinegar took care of it and the rebuild kit took care of the soft parts. I was actually pretty amazed at the AMOUNT of residue and corrosion in there... glad I decided to service it before my upcoming trip, though :wink:

I'm also glad I learned how to service my own regs.... it was good to know how to take it apart so I could make it work for the remainder of the liveaboard trip. I also like knowing how they work as well as being able to make minor adjustments "in the field" if there's a problem.

Other things I like about servicing my own gear...
- I get it back the same day instead of weeks (or more :11: ) later
- I know it's done right and no shortcuts were taken
- Cost - the LDS here wanted to charge $140 for 1 first stage and 2 second stages.... PLUS PARTS!! I bought the kits for about $25 for the first stage and less than $20 (IIRC) for the second stage kits.

It still peaves me that even for the regs I bought from this LDS, they will not honor the Apeks policy of not charging for (or refunding the LDS) the rebuild kit for annual service!

oops

I agree rebuilding regs is great fun, and I also enjoy the peace of mind knowing every little nuance of my regs. Between the regs and O2 cleaning the tanks, I saved a bunch of money.

I enjoy the piece of mind I get from re-building my own regs.
I get the free parts, do the work myself, and use the tools from the LDS that I work with which is where I bought the regs.

It sucks that your LDS doesn't honor that policy!!

awesome, Snow...

i'd like to rebuild mine at some point in the near future

how did you learn to rebuild them? did you take a class, or just read the manual?

H2Andy:
how did you learn to rebuild them? did you take a class, or just read the manual?
1 - Airspeed press regulator book

2 - Apeks service manual

3 - A reg tech in the Seattle area walked me through the whole process one evening, including hints and tips and whys and hows in exchange for dinner and a beer.

I recommend the airspeed reg service book by vance whatshisname... it's really good, well worth the $50 .....

apeks are pretty straightforward... as are scubapro...

thanks guys

Do guys have a source for rebuild kits? I need to rebuild a US diver reg.

Thanks

CB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom