Rebreathers at The Flower Gardens on the M/V Fling... WOW!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking forward to taking my P2 on the Fling, and I'm pretty sure doubles will be allowed on these trips as well.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for putting this together! I do have a few questions as I have seen mention in a few other threads in the Texas forums that this trip is not rebreather only, but is more of a tech-lite style of trip.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas/481540-fling-tech-lite-trip-works-june.html

Can you confirm or refute the following, please:

Are doubles allowed?

If so:

4 dives per day no deco or 2 deco dives per day?

Possible dive locations with depths?

I ask because me and a few buddies (up to 12) primarily dive doubles; however, only a few of us at present are deco trained. A few are GUE Cave 2, Tech 1, Cave 1, and all are GUE Fundamentals trained...but we would love to find a boat in Texas Gulf that will allow doubles charters a few times per year. I know that tripntx mentioned on the thread above that this would be way for the Fling to realize that it would be beneficial to organize such trips. Well, we are all for it. I cannot promise that we can organize in time to hit that Jun date, but again our group has 12 divers (between TX and OK) that dive doubles quite often and again, at the risk of being redundant, would love to find a boat to move doubles divers around in the gulf.

Again thanks for organizing the trip and I look forward to your reply.

When you have time, please call Tom at Island Divers. Doubles are allowed on his Rebreather/Tec charter.
Non-deco doubles 4 dives day one and 2 dives day two, Fling's standard operating procedure.
Deco doubles/deco rebreather 2 dives day one, and 1 long deco dive day two morning.
Fling generally departs at lunch on day two towards Freeport.
Tom will discuss dive sites when you call.

I'm glad you have expressed an interest, and thanks for mentioning June was a little soon to organize. Tom is exploring other possibilities with MV Fling to determine if any other dates are available later this summer. The only problem with late Oct is weather cancel is always a strong possibility.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for putting this together! I do have a few questions as I have seen mention in a few other threads in the Texas forums that this trip is not rebreather only, but is more of a tech-lite style of trip.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas/481540-fling-tech-lite-trip-works-june.html

Can you confirm or refute the following, please:

Are doubles allowed?

If so:

4 dives per day no deco or 2 deco dives per day?

Possible dive locations with depths?

I ask because me and a few buddies (up to 12) primarily dive doubles; however, only a few of us at present are deco trained. A few are GUE Cave 2, Tech 1, Cave 1, and all are GUE Fundamentals trained...but we would love to find a boat in Texas Gulf that will allow doubles charters a few times per year. I know that tripntx mentioned on the thread above that this would be way for the Fling to realize that it would be beneficial to organize such trips. Well, we are all for it. I cannot promise that we can organize in time to hit that Jun date, but again our group has 12 divers (between TX and OK) that dive doubles quite often and again, at the risk of being redundant, would love to find a boat to move doubles divers around in the gulf.

Again thanks for organizing the trip and I look forward to your reply.

When you have time, please call Tom at Island Divers. Doubles are allowed on his Rebreather/Tec charter.
Non-deco doubles 4 dives day one and 2 dives day two, Fling's standard operating procedure.
Deco doubles/deco rebreather 2 dives day one, and 1 long deco dive day two morning.
Fling generally departs at lunch on day two towards Freeport.
Tom will discuss dive sites when you call.

I'm glad you have expressed an interest, and thanks for mentioning June was a little soon to organize. Tom is exploring other possibilities with MV Fling to determine if any other dates are available later this summer. The only problem with late Oct is weather cancel is always a strong possibility.

Hey Tripntx,

Thanks for the reply. I have sent a couple of emails back and forth with Tom and will give him a shout.

Also, as luck would have it, I will be in Galveston on my bi-annual family vacation in a couple of weeks and I plan to drop by and say howdy and shoot the breeze with Tom. Hopefully, we can figure out a few good dates and plenty of good dive sites. I'm open to any and all suggestions and whatever Tom mentions as relates to sites. I'll be the first to say that I have no clue when it comes to Texas gulf diving....but I'm willing and certainly happy to learn.

Keep the posts alive on this one, folks.....we need to make this happen! :)

Take care and safe diving.

Cyprian,

I just sent you a PM with my cell and email. Contact me if you have any interest in local diving during your vacation to Galveston, and we can discuss Gulf Offshore diving between dives.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the ?'s/comments regarding CCR/Tec Lite. Sounds like June may be a bit early for some of you so, what would interest be on a thursday/friday trip sometime in early Sept., provided there is a charter available?
Tom
Island Divers Galveston
island divers GALVESTON

Here's the deal:
October 25-26, board evening of 24th in Freeport, Tx. return late afternoon on the 26th.
Chance to make 6 dives (4 no D Sat., 2 no D Sun.) or 2 Deco Sat., 1 Deco Sun.
Dive Flower Gardens, Stetson Bank and poss deep water rig.
$595. $100 holds spot, balance due 30 days out. Space limited.
Call to sign on or with questions 409.621.2010
-Tom

This will be an excellent trip.

Unfortunately this trip was cancelled a couple of months ago as a Rebreather trip due to lack of interest. I really wish this trip would have gone because the sea's where flat yesterday which would have made for an excellent Flower Gardens & Stetson Bank experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom