Rebreather Technical A.R.M. Test Criteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iain/hsm

Contributor
Reaction score
Gentlemen.

This is my first post ever to any diving sites so I apolozise for the length of this enquiry. Regarding the latest type approval for breathing performance and standards for this type of sports equipment, can you help in some, or even all of the following questions:

1. Has the latest CE directive been made public domain yet with the test results from various manufacturers.
2. C02 production rates test at 1.6slm is very high, could you tell if produced sports units claim the more realistic VC02 of 1.35slm.
3. What temp for tests are taken as acceptable: zero or 4 deg C.
4. Inspired C02 partial pressure is this still 0.5kPa for these units.
5. Also interested what variable CO2 flow rates are claimed or indeed if an issue in sports units, i.e: 0.9, 2.0, and 3.0 l/min variable rates over the breathing rate RMV for the test duration cycle. Again using 0.5SE C02 as the breakthrough point.
6. Work of Breathing (WOB) against ventilation rate at 30/40/60 l/min and depth, is it still 3 joules per litre as the maximum target depth WOB or do sports units have a different (worse/higher) claimed target figure.
7. WOB with diluent gas is this accepted as a reduced WOB Claim.
8. RMV rates with depth, again where are the sports equipment claimed limits. 3.5 joules per litre work at 90 litres per minute ventilation rate at 60 MSW (200 fsw) used to be about the top end limit.
9. Peak to Peak mouthpiece pressure, I understand some sports units were redesigned because of this. What is the latest claimed limit for this. For brevity 4.015 inches in salt water is one kiloPascal. I will accept either! When P-P presure increases with depth and with increased RMV what is the maximum acceptable claimed mouthpiece pressure, at what depth and at what RMV. Also what was the old claimed limit?
10. Dry Wet Cycle tests. Can you tell if fatigue, tensile as well as cycle tests are claimed, if so what is the "Typical life time of the diver"!! Basic annual average number of dives per year would be a great help (say 60 per year)
11. Soft Parts: materials used in sports units, what claimed results are made for elongation deflection and scuff resistance of the breathing tubes.
12. What is the claimed puncture, seam strength and weathering resistance or the breathing bag, both in supported and unsupported urathane types
13. All these claims of test will be to a recognised test criteria and test method. The standard (where possible) will quote a BS,ASTM Din etc test procedure, this should also be quoted.

Thats about it! Thank you. Iain.

Ian

A lot of questions some of which I cant answer

Firstly the CE regs are public domain if you want to buy a copy from HMSO. Send us an email (my address is on my website) and I'll tell you where to get copies. This has most of the answers you seek especially the numerical ones and test procedures

None of the manufacturers actually give their test results just a pass or fail. They regard their performance figures as trade secrets

iain/hsm:
1. Has the latest CE directive been made public domain yet with the test results from various manufacturers.
Iain,
I have not heard or seen any of the official CE test reports ever been made available to the public.
AFAIK the only manufaturer that has ever published any independent test reports at all is Steam Machines.
These tests however were performed for US Navy use rather than CE certification, although some of the criteria is applicaple (for example the scrubber duration test temperature per CE standard is between 3.5?C and 4.5?C - the Prism was tested at the latter per US Navy standard).
You can find that report here: Prism Test Report

Stefan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom