Rebreather for tech diving, need suggestion's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMike:
Stefan,
Do you know what are the depth ratings for the lumberg connectors SMI use on the Prism and SM1600?
Mike, I went to source and e-mailed Pete about the depth rating. Here his reply:

300ft for 24hours for ours. We water block our end and tested it to over 500, no problems.

I start to be interested in CCR. The all post is very informative to understand CCR. Thanks for you guys posts. However, I am wondering what the typical lifetime of CCR device is? The answers will be depending on the condision though.....

Thanks in advance,

hoosier:
However, I am wondering what the typical lifetime of CCR device is? The anser will be depending on the condision though.....
That's hard to gauge as most companies and models haven't been around for a long time. Furthermore there are quite some differences in in design and materials.

The first mass produced rebreather for the recreational market was the Dräger Atlantis, now Dolphin. Still plenty of them out there and diving.

The CCR1000 came out in 1969, it and it's military variation, the MK15, can still be found in use around the world. In very good condition these well made rigs still can fetch $10,000.

The Inspiration and Prism hit the market in the late 90s and early models of both are still running strong.

Rebreathers need more maintanance than OC equipment, but when that is done properly they should as long. Plenty of divers have and use RBs made in the 50s and 60s just as they use twin hose regs, fins etc. of that vintage.

re-breather use
FLTEKDIVER:
Im just getting into the rebreather seen here, and looking for some help, and have a few question's being everyone here in this part of the fourm knows what there talking about with this :

1. I own 3 set's of doubles, a few deco bottles, and 5 reg's to do a 180' dive, and look at my equipment and see over 10k sitting there, im starting to wonder why dosn't everyone who tech dives use a rebreather?

From what i can see, and little research i did, there really not much more then what i have invested into ALL my gear right now to go deep, and now after reading people tying in there VR3 computer's , and all the research so far that i have done, there seem to be many advantages to a closed circut rebreather, and also have many advantages from what i can see. So the question is being im new to rebreahter's, but really considering buying a rebreather here withen the next 4-6 month's for deep dive's, is what are the pro's and con's to diving one against open circut? Also as im am siging up for a Tri-mix course soon as well, how expensive do they run once needing a unit to do that type of diving? Also what about "bail out" and Redundancy?

I also been researching home made unit's as well, as i have a friend that i dive with all the time, who also want's to go the rebreather route,and has spent hour's researching these home made unit's , ( who is also very capable of making one of this unit's)
also is looking into the advantage's as well with diving a closed circut rebreather.

I know this is alot to ask, and any help would be appreciated, as it just seem's to me, why would one want to dive 200' and have 4-5 tanks straped to him, all these different regs to breath off of for different gases, when it look's to me you can strap one of these baby's on and go!!

Also are they pratical for 50' - 60' reef dives as well? Is this somthing that everyone who own's one dives for all different applactions? As i do all types of diving, i would want somthing i could use all around, is this possible? Thank's, for your time to respond, as i am REALLY looking to go this route soon, and it look's better and better the more i read!!!

Once you use a re-breather, you never will want to go back to OC. I was in your shoes recently. Just finished the ccr trimix in Grand Cayman. I kept 1 oc unit for teaching OW classes. You can use your rb unit in 10 feet of water. Great for phtography as fish are not scared. Can get GREAT CLOSEUPS. Just make sure you buy the right unit. Check out the Meg. Innerspacesystems.com Best one the market. It is a modular unit, closed ccr. Modular meaning you can adapt it anytime. (make changes, upgrade, use any gas bottles you want, plus, it is impossible to flood the canister) Great unit, many safety features. I triedc many before I bought. Tom Mount, well, the meg is his favorite unit. As far as back up, you carry a stage bottle with enough gas to get out of dodge. On deep dives dive with three people and together you should have enough bail out gas to get 1 and 1/3 people out so, just overpump that steel 45 and you will have enough gas to get two people out. I have never heard of a meg failing but, their is always the first. I like being on the cutting edge of technology not the bleeding edge. Good luck, Ted

diver teddy:
Once you use a re-breather, you never will want to go back to OC. I was in your shoes recently. Just finished the ccr trimix in Grand Cayman. I kept 1 oc unit for teaching OW classes. You can use your rb unit in 10 feet of water. Great for phtography as fish are not scared. Can get GREAT CLOSEUPS. Just make sure you buy the right unit. Check out the Meg. Innerspacesystems.com Best one the market. It is a modular unit, closed ccr.

http://www.customrebreathers.com/index.html

Is for the meg.......

diver teddy:
Best one the market.
I rather doubt there is such a thing as "the best rebreather" off or on the market.
There is just one that works the best for any particular diver.

it is impossible to flood the canister
The Megalodon's cannister?
Last time I looked the cannister had a big hole where you insert the head assembly. Said assembly had two holes where the hoses get attached, as well as connectors for O2 and cables. Anything with holes and seals can be flooded when seals fail.

If you're referring to the Cis scrubber, that's neither an ISC product nor part of the Megalodon, they are next to impossible to find and raise the price 20% - 25%. And even the hydrophobic membrane won't help if the seals fail. Gotta get sorb in there somehow, so C-L made a hole.

diver teddy:
Once you use a re-breather, you never will want to go back to OC. I was in your shoes recently. Just finished the ccr trimix in Grand Cayman. I kept 1 oc unit for teaching OW classes. You can use your rb unit in 10 feet of water. Great for phtography as fish are not scared. Can get GREAT CLOSEUPS. Just make sure you buy the right unit. Check out the Meg. Innerspacesystems.com Best one the market. It is a modular unit, closed ccr. Modular meaning you can adapt it anytime. (make changes, upgrade, use any gas bottles you want, plus, it is impossible to flood the canister) Great unit, many safety features. I triedc many before I bought. Tom Mount, well, the meg is his favorite unit. As far as back up, you carry a stage bottle with enough gas to get out of dodge. On deep dives dive with three people and together you should have enough bail out gas to get 1 and 1/3 people out so, just overpump that steel 45 and you will have enough gas to get two people out. I have never heard of a meg failing but, their is always the first. I like being on the cutting edge of technology not the bleeding edge. Good luck, Ted

Hey thanks Teddy, and congrats on your CCR tri-mix course :wink:

caveseeker7:
What's "relatively shortly" in the rebreather world?
Right after "may"?

I saw some Dive-rite reps field testing 4 rebreathers at Troy Springs in Florida on 2-20-05. They said that the unit is doing fine and will be available for purchase by May or June. It looked like a pretty solid unit, but they couldn't give me an idea about the MSRP.

Lt9:
caveseeker7:
What's "relatively shortly" in the rebreather world?
Right after "may"?

I saw some Dive-rite reps field testing 4 rebreathers at Troy Springs in Florida on 2-20-05. They said that the unit is doing fine and will be available for purchase by May or June. It looked like a pretty solid unit, but they couldn't give me an idea about the MSRP.
This is killing me. I have read and talked to everyone I know about rebreathers. I am finally making the plunge. It took 2 years to make the decision. But the problem is I'm waiting for the DR. But since there is no definite date (remember the scooter) when do I say screw it and order a different brand. No that my mind is made up, it's killing me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom