Rebreather for tech diving, need suggestion's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMike:
Do you know what are the depth ratings for the lumberg connectors SMI use on the Prism and SM1600?
Excellent question, Mike, I'll find out next time I talk to Pete.

>Oh really, Peter?
>Ever heard of water block cables?

Yes I have…

>They won't allow water into the loop or gauge even when cut.

>Jetsam places the batteries in the gauges,

Yes I know.

>which are outside the loop.

No, they are at ambient pressure. Ask Gordon Smith if you don’t believe me.

>The only manufacturer I'm aware of who places the batteries in an unsealed compartment >inside the loop at ambient pressure is Ambient Pressure. That, no matter how you look at it, >is a bad design feature.

I agree that sealed electronics is better, and the batteries should sit outside the loop, easier to change if they are bad on pre dive checks. But I really bad electronics design is a solution when you can’t see all cell values at the same time…

>To say the KISS is equal to that nonsense is not correct.
>Very different issues.

Have you seen a KISS RB????
Have you looked closely to gauges and the “cables”?
Apparently you have not done that…

>Let me guess?

Aha, you think I am a DIR Jugend.. :)

>The Inspiration is not a tech rebreather either?
>The Cis-Lunar? And the MK series was never ment to be?

>The KISS has been to 100 msw in stock form, and deeper modified.
>The MK-5p has plenty of dives in the 450 - 500 fsw range,
>the Meg has been past 500 fsw,
>the Inspiration successfully past 580 feet.
>The MK15.5 holds the current record at 886 fsw.

Yes I know theirs records and performance….

Best Regards
Peter
Inspiration diver
Sweden

There are three issues with lithium batteries being unsealed inside the loop that I can see:

1. off-gassing under normal diving conditions (red flagged when the Navy tested the Inspiration for NOAA use in their test report )

2. short circuit or battery getting damaged when getting into contact with water (as reported in the Cayman incident)

3. stray voltage from the battery influencing the sensor readings

Which of those you think apply to the KISS?

Peter.o:
But I really bad electronics design is a solution when you can’t see all cell values at the same time…
I asume you mean the Prism's and MK15/15.5 analog secondary.

No doubt it's a good thing to be able to read the sensors simultaniously, eases comparing their response to O2 addition and judging their condition. It is certainly more convenient.
But after a couple of hours reading the gauge, reading the needle's response becomes second nature.

In my view the advantages outweight that disadvantage by a wide margin:

The complete independence from battery power, setpoint controller and primary display. That, for me, is one of the most imortant features of those rebreathers, having an independent and separate secondary.

The ability to physically disconnect the battery with the mechanical power switch, thereby eleminating any stray voltage across the sensors (while still being able to monitor the cells and fly the rig safely).

Obviously all that is personal preference, as just about anything else about the rebreather one chooses.

In regards to SMI's electronics, I like the automatic setpoint switch, the sensor tracking, the HDD, the simplicity of operation. Some find them restricting, some want more bells and whistles. I prefer solid basics over bells, whizzles and buzzers.
Aside from which the integrated deco computer will display all three sensor readings.

The Prism is as transparent as an eCCR can be, while being very efficient and capable, even more so considering the size and weight.

Works for me, might not work for you, nothing wrong with that.

Aha, you think I am a DIR Jugend.. :)
LOL!!! No, I didn't, they usually say all CCRs will kill you by just looking at them. :wink:

caveseeker7:
The cables in Inspiration are potted in both the head (in the small cable box) the and in the handsets, so you have to fill the handsets with water to short-circuit the electronics.
caveseeker7:
Off-gassing and a expensive repair in event of a full flood (Same as in Inspiration) But with all other stuff we breath every day, I don't consider the off-gassing as a big problem.
caveseeker7:
In regards to SMI's electronics, I like the automatic setpoint switch,
That’s nice, but I don’t like that the diver can’t change setpoint on it under water.
caveseeker7:
Works for me, might not work for you, nothing wrong with that.
I agree :10:

Just curious…
Done many dives with your Prism?

/Peter

Peter.o:
Ohhh ... a kiss. Now you're making me feel all warm and fuzzy. :D

Done many dives with your Prism?
Not remately as many as I'd like. There is no "my" Prism yet, no doe.
With this being Thanksgiving, may I say I'm thankfull for rentals.

That’s nice, but I don’t like that the diver can’t change setpoint on it under water.
I hear that a lot. Again I consider it more an issue of convenience as you can raise and maintain the pO2
manually, but it's a nice option to have. SMI played around with it in the late 80s as the enclosed picture from Steve Millard's review shows. They decided against it.

I never ment this to deteriorate into a "mine is better than yours" argument.
Mine suits me better than yours. Yours suits you better than mine.
I'm pretty sure we can agree on and leave it at that.

Best wishes
Stefan

caveseeker7:
Ohhh ... a kiss. Now you're making me feel all warm and fuzzy. :D
Oh ****, I missed it was a animated smile…. :)
caveseeker7:
I never ment this to deteriorate into a "mine is better than yours" argument.
Mine suits me better than yours. Yours suits you better than mine.
I'm pretty sure we can agree on and leave it at that.
Yes, we can agree about that.

/Peter

Hi Boozer, I doubt it ... you're too open minded.
You might actually consider a CCR if you needed one.

Did you know that there is actually a picture of you out
there of someone explaining a CCR to you ! :11:
That sort of thing can get you banned quicker than a Darwin sticker on a horse buggy.

No Glühwein & Feuerzangenbowle for those guys, either. :wink:

Enjoy the Weihnachtsmarkt
Stefan

I always listen to other guys ! They can at least serve as a bad example :)
No, why not talk about these things, yet i see no advantage of them !

I will send you a "virtual Glühwein and a Nürnberger Bratwurst" via FTP !

Michael (just back from the US since yesterday)

fltekdiver,

Skip the dolphin. It really will not do anything your after. Its a great unit for someone who simply wants to do 60-70' reefs but other than that I would not consider it. I know of at least 4 or 5 that are closet toys because the guys outgrew them so fast. If you want to see some of these hands on, I'm live in Deray Beach. Be glad to let you in the pool to do your own research :10: There is really no way to make an educated decision without some fam courses.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom