Rebreather diving with a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i-fish

New
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting a dry suit so that I can partake in some cold water rebreather wreck diving.

As I know less than squat about drysuits I thought Id ask here if there are any 'rebreather specific' things I need to concern myself with when looking for a drysuit to use with my YBOD in and on wrecks.

Cheers
Mike

Make sure you don't get an orange suit cos it clashes horribly with the yellow turtle cover :)

I'm on my second Otter drysuit, probably replace it with the same again when the time comes - its a Brittanic, but with neoprene seals, as I've caught a latex seal more than once on a wreck, and they have a habit of tearing at inconvenient times

If you want a rugged drysuit AND protected seals, two come to mind:
The Mobby's ArmorShell Pro and the Northern Diver FEZ Cortex. Both are made from Cordura, the former from 1000 denier, which extends over the latex seals. So you can have the water tightness of the latex with some protection. The ND is made from Cordura (don't know the threads thickness, but it's solid), and has a 'warm neck' and 'warm cuffs' made from neoprene. Both are front entry, so you'll be able to get in and out by yourself. The ND has a good size pocket and offers an optional attached hood.
It also comes in black with yellow. :D

I dive the Armor Shell in 420 denier nylon, it's been holding up very well for several years. The super stretchy seals are exrtemly confortable and tough. Have yet to replace one. :)

http://www.mobbys.com/main_menu.htm
http://www.progressivediving.com/ND_Drysuits.htm

Give your supply gas some thought, I generally always use ofboard gas for inflation to conserve my onboard. The gas can go pretty quick over the course of a day with drysuit inflation and wing supplied from the onboard. I have a 13' argon bottle attaced to the side of my BP works great and the added warmth of argon really helps out.

Also think about your dump valve placement. I personally like mine on the wrist.

saturated once bubbled...
Give your supply gas some thought, I generally always use ofboard gas for inflation to conserve my onboard. The gas can go pretty quick over the course of a day with drysuit inflation and wing supplied from the onboard. I have a 13' argon bottle attaced to the side of my BP works great and the added warmth of argon really helps out.

Also think about your dump valve placement. I personally like mine on the wrist.

I use an offboard suit inflation cylinder as well, but it rarely has argon in it, I completely failed to notice the difference when we ran out and my buddy who'd done the filling didn't tell me it was air instead.
I disagree on the dump position though, cuff dumps occasionally jam when deeper and required you do actively 'do' something to dump air, properly set up auto-dumps can be simply ignored and the suit will dump anything automatically on ascent

I use an auto dump as well, its just on the wrist instead of the shoulder. My last suit had a shoulder dump but with a stage on either side it was difficult to reach manually, but thats just my experience. I notice a tremendous difference with argon, but again thats just my experience, I dive with plenty of guys using air. I think if you properly "flush" the suit with argon prior to the dive the difference maybe more noticeable.

Norwegian and British Navy both did extensive testing of Argon V Air as dry suit gas. Bith Navies continue to use Air only. The effect was so minor as to be within "Placebo" effects. Results are on the net somewhere

I sling an extra 3Litre Air cylinder on the outside of my Inspirations case using a pony bracket (pictures on my site), It powers my dry suit and has a DV on in in case I ever need the air in it. Dont even notice I'm carrying it

As far as shoulder or wrist dumps go. I've been teaching dry suits since the very early 80's when they had NO dump valves (thats what wrist seals are for) and I can safely state that wrist dumps always end up leaking are positively dangerouse during rescues etc when you need to raise your arm to lifty your buddy (and bam you dump and sink). A shoulder valve is the way to go (I have had and used both)

HOWEVER the MOST IMPORTANT consideration of using a drysuit with a rebreather is you MUST get a P valve added. Those 3 hour dives are no joke otherwise :wacko: As Bob Howell said the last time I asked him what was his dive time on an 80m dive "It was a 3 pee dive"!!!!:)

Thats odd. I'm going to have to do some more research on the argon. If you are correct it'll save some $$$. The difficult thing is being able to try both at the same time. I do know on a heliox dive in 40 degree, a shot of argon is pretty welcome. But you maybe right and air would do the same. Not sure on that since I've pretty much dove argon since the late 70's.

Wrist dump, never had one leak. Luck I guess. Been through 5 or 6 suits and have not had any dump leaks.

Valid point on the buddy lift. I dive mine closed and manually dump so not much of an issue. Probably boils down to preference and experience. 6 suits and 25 years with a wrist dump, shoulder dump just doesnt work for me.

P-valve is a definate must!:D

Definately thanks for the info on the argon, could always use a little extra $$$ if I dont need it. THANKS

On a side note. I just bought the custom divers wing/bp for the inspiration....very nice mod...trim is spot on.

madmole once bubbled...
[
HOWEVER the MOST IMPORTANT consideration of using a drysuit with a rebreather is you MUST get a P valve added. Those 3 hour dives are no joke otherwise :wacko: As Bob Howell said the last time I asked him what was his dive time on an 80m dive "It was a 3 pee dive"!!!!:) [/B]

<sulk> it's not fair :(

Fiona

flw once bubbled...

<sulk> it's not fair :(
Fiona
No it isn't. Just adopt the US Navy - Consolidated Diving Unit's motto:
"Excellence Under Pressure" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom