Rebreather Diving On Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPBECK

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I know that this might be pushed in the travel section. Dont bother I posted it there already, however I want a answer from someone who actually has a rebreather. Has anyone dived (dove?) the Big Island around the Kona area, with his or her rebreather? I am diving there for 8 days in December. I have tried the usual suspects: Kona Coast Divers and Jacks Diving, although they claim they are rebreather friendly; when asked about chemicals they both didn’t even know what Sofnolime was. Do you think I should pack everything (cylinders and lime) with me? Packing the cylinders is not a big deal but I don’t want to lug 30 or so lbs of chemicals with me. I asked if I could ship that stuff ahead of me but I have not heard back from them yet.

So I guess what I am asking is has anyone dove in Kona with their breather, if so who did they use to get the consumables? Which boats were cool with them, ect.

Any help would be nice…
Thanks for your time!

JPBECK:
[...] however I want a answer from someone who actually has a rebreather. Has anyone dived (dove?) the Big Island around the Kona area, with his or her rebreather?

[...] Kona Coast Divers and Jacks Diving, although they claim they are rebreather friendly; when asked about chemicals they both didn’t even know what Sofnolime was. Do you think I should pack everything (cylinders and lime) with me? [...]

I dive with my rebreathers (a Dolphin and a Ray right now, with a Prism on order)
all the time on the Big Island. Jack's and DiveTEK are both rebreather-friendly
operators on the Big Island. Not everyone who answers the phone at Jack's knows
about rebreathers - but there are two SCR instructors there (Greg and Bob H).

I'm assuming you're bringing some sort of CCR - best if you bring your own cylinders.
If instead you've got a Drager CCR leave the cylinders at home -- they're available
for rent.

DiveTEK/ Jack's can do pure O2 (and trimix) fills for you. Sodasorb is available on
the island at Gaspro - it's about $90 for a 37 lb pail. I use A-33 dry as a disenfectant,
which is also available at Gaspro. Betadyne is available at any of the drug stores
on the island if you prefer that.

PM me if you'd like a dive buddy in December -

Oh man you are very cool! Thanks for the info-- I would be honored to dive with a local! I will take you up on your offer!

Thanks again

For the record...and your happier diving...everything you need for rebreather diving is available at Konaquatica Dive Center: High pressure O2 fills, nitrox, trimix, heliox, triox. Stage bottles in all sizes (Al & steel), onboards & offboards for all major CCRs (Inspiration, Meg, Kiss, O2ptima, etc.). Consumables including sofnolime, sodasorb and extendair cartidges. Spare parts to keep you diving. Rental gear, plus a dive boat painstakingly designed from the outset for technical and rebreather diving. Experience Kona in a new way with amazing CCR diving. Okay, if you want to do recreational diving, that's available at Konaquatica too. So is full IANTD instruction through full trimix on both open and closed circuit. Or, maybe you want to take your diving to new levels with a Cavern class or Technical Wreck course. Sorry for the "ad", but there has been a lot of misinformation going around, and it's time to set the record straight, and to let discerning divers know what's really available...now. Find out why we call Konaquatica "Hawaii's Rebreather & Technical Headquarters". Aloha !

I've been a customer of both Jacks' and Konaaquatica (as well as others)

There are several folks out there who can support rebreathers, Jack's is nice, and Greg will set you up, and if you're doing dive depths and times similar to OC folks that works great. Though they cater more to users of the Dolphin then CCRs. But you need to remember Jack's has schedules to maintain and if you (and your buddy) are the only rebreather divers, its not nice to make the others wait for you.
However, if you are looking to dive with someone who not only really knows rebreathers, but can take you places that allow you to realize/exercise the benefits of a rebreather, then I highly recommend Jim and Konaquatica. My trip with Jim took me to places I had not seen before despite having spent over 8 weeks cumlative over a few years diving Kona. Jim also has a very broad knowledge of rebreathers, but for me anyway, I was very appreciative that he just demonstrated his skills and did not appear to judge mine. Jim obviously takes pride in his boat and rightly so. Since Jim caters to the tec community you are much more likely to find divers with similar desires as your own. And most importantly, I have never met a dive operator who was so passionate about doing the best he can for his customers. I intend to go back in a year or so and do more with him.

While I have done dives with many of the operators on Kona, these two stand out the most. Oh, there is talk that a new outfit might start up specific for Prism folks, I spoke with the principles a few weeks ago, seem like nice folks. I'll post if I hear more.

I second that recomendation for diving with Jim at Konaquatica! I just got back from 7 days in Kona and took my YBOD with me. Jim had Inspiration tanks and bailout cylinders for rent (at a great rate I might add) which saved me from having to lug them with me. Great fill station and service.
My wife and I shore dove a few days then did 2 days on the boat with Konaquatica and thought it was the best dive operation we have dove with. My wife is an OC recreational diver and I was the only RB diver on the boat, they had no problems switching between OC and RB divers.

I also second that Jim might be the most passionate dive operator that I have encountered.

diverrob:
I second that recomendation for diving with Jim at Konaquatica!
I "third" that motion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom