Rebreather Discussion from Brockville Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gianaameri -

I believe you have to allow divers the opportunity to come to their own conclusions. The data and data quality concerns have run rampant on the forums for years.

You decided rebreathers are outside of your risk tolerance except when it makes sense for you to use it in a very hostile environment. If I understand your position correctly, you believe using a CCR in a cave is okay for you because logistics (read the CCR diving advantages) warrant CCR technology and you mitigate the risk (read eventuality of failure) by bringing copious OC gas on the dive. Not to be rude, but that’s the whole strategy of CCR diving for the majority of us, too. I do see value in less intense CC dives as a means of practice in OW and we seem to diverge on the topic of practice, which I find intriguing. You seem to argue less time on the loop is less likely to die, whereas I feel that I benefit from workup dives in OW before taking on overhead environments. Noted.

While it's compelling to read "Study A", "Article B", and "NEDU Result C", and anecdote Q from paragraph seven page 143, it's also reasonable [necessary] to understand [realize] people with money and time will find ways to off themselves. Anyone attaching a rebreather to their respiratory system should fully comprehend they have essentially left planet Earth. The diver has fundamentally mechanically extended their body and will be the only person anywhere breathing the precise atmosphere they're blending. We could agree that two rebreather divers on the same dive will have slightly different gas fractions, humidity, etc. in the loop at all times.

Properly trained CCR divers know what they should do to mitigate risks, the real issue here becomes are they doing it. If not, can we cause that change in the community via peer-pressure, best practices, or perhaps more fatalities - whatever else motivates change. I think what you’re asking for is everyone to agree with, "These things are as dangerous as I say they are." /pound table If that’s your objective, we get it loud and clear. Rebreathers are dangerous, especially when coupled with inadequate training, bad behaviors [plural on purpose], and lack of recent experience. You can’t decide how people will use a gizmo, or more importantly misuse a widget.

I remain interested in your thoughts, ideas, and opinions, but I think you're finding resistance here when you say - I dive a rebreather in [arguably] the most hostile environment possible, and its okay for me because I accept the risk for logistics purposes. A sentence or paragraph later you somewhat condemn your fellow divers for accepting the risk of selecting a rebreather in a less harsh environment. I recognize you may have a training/experience advantage, but these two factors, even when paired have not prevented previous fatalities as you repeatedly point out. We know that diver behaviors and disciplines have been factors in many accidents. As a community of CC divers, let’s agree to at the bare minimum eliminate bad behavior and bad discipline root causes from the list of fatalities. I acknowledge best practices will not eliminate a diver being overcome by a problem s/he could not have reacted to, or anticipate, but I do believe we can stem the tide of divers overcome by overall poor execution.

I don't want to see anyone off themselves, and I would prefer to live without ever having to pull a lifeless body out of the water again. Because of this, I take your position seriously, and with consideration, but please allow me the opportunity to make my own decisions about risk and my pursuit of diving enjoyment much as you've done. You’re not the only diver who has turned to a CCR because of logistics or environmental considerations.

If rebreathers were not as damn risky as they are, I'd dive them anywhere anytime.

As a matter of fact, I used to.

As a risk manager, however, once taking into account the information which I had been previously denied, I cannot (I owe it to myself and my 3 kids I like to play with and kiss good-night) now that I have this new information, not take it into account.

When I did my Mod 1 and purchased my first rebreather, I thought I was buying "state-of-the-art" and "EN14143:2003" technology.

It neither performed like state-of-the-art nor EN14143:2003.

I made enquiries, and discovered that it was neither of what I had based my purchase decision upon and upon which my risk assessment was based.

Then, upon further enquiries I learned more and more about the hidden risks of rebreather diving which no one explained to me and I had not understood.

It was thanks to diving doctors like Dr. Lucarini and Dr. Mitchell who went public with the knowledge that I understood - well after my Mod 3 - the "silent killer" of rebreather diving: "CO2 retention."

Rebreather diving is more risky than cave diving. Rebreather diving at any depth in any environment is more risky than cave diving. Using a rebreather in cave diving raises the risk of cave diving.

So, I do not advocate using a rebreather for cave diving either.

Logistically, and this is the key, in some caves, and this is the key, for some longer penetration dives, and this is the key, for consecutive days of diving, and this is the key, as a rare exception, and this is the key, I use a rebreather (highly modified to mitigate the residual risks inherent in out-of-the-box products).

...but I am much happier cave diving side-mount OC.

Rebreather is a tool. It is to be used where it is appropriate - that is where the benefits outweigh the risk.

I could not do the same diving on OC which I do on rebreather because of logistical constraints.

To dive a rebreather, for example, where you could do the same dive on one bottle of Air or Nitrox is simply put not appropriate (crazy risk, needless fatalities) - neither to sell it or teach it for that use or use it for that use is appropriate - till some improvements in the technology comes along.

Of course, if the user is ignorant of the true risks, than I fully understand why one would use a rebreather for recreational dives.

It is about risk management, suitability, and appropriateness.

Last edited:
You think that our understanding of physiology is complete, and that there is no point in any further research other than for scientist to have "fun"? Try saying that in the DCS forum! :)

Of course not. But you do have to admit that the more is understood and the lower the incidence of DCS the less need there is for such an emphasis. Diving to 100m is not the feat it once was - we do understand and have practices for this stuff in spades over what I perceive to have been available a scant few decades ago.

But seriously, the only reason why you are able to dive at all today is thanks to thousands of brilliant people who devoted their careers to figuring out the basic physics and physiology of breathing gas underwater - Boyle, Henry, Haldane, Cousteau, Buhlmann, etc… No real scientist would ever assume that our understanding of anything is complete, without need for further inquiry. If you really think that we have reached the end of this journey, ask yourself if the CCR you will be diving in 20 years will be the same as the one you have now.

Not the end for sure, but we surely know enough to stop making outrageous claims about rebreather divers being test pilots and referring to them as 'death machines' or similar.

As far as rebreather divers deciding about the benefits and the risks, it sounds like you aren't very curious regarding new research about risks (you dismissed the paper out of hand), so I'm not sure how you make those calculations.

It's exhausting to read the "research" as those who are motivated to perform it have an axe to grind and are biased one way or another. You can read papers like the one cited here decrying machines or you can read the propaganda that Add Helium posts frequently touting all of the amazing things a rebreather can do. The truth lies in the gray area. My guess is that all CCR divers have different (admittedly somewhat either similar or thematic) reasons for switching - cost/availability of helium, logistics with regard to gas volumes, decompression advantages, cool gear factor, etc. Those reasons don't change with research - no amount of a paper being written is going to reduce the amount of open circuit gas you have to take on a 100m dive. There are other discussions about how to redesign the rebreather to remove the "risk" of using that machine on that 100m dive, but I can't say that it's contemporary that open circuit is the better/safer tool for that dive.

Dunno. He seems to have some experience but seems to be dealing in controversies and technical details that are far beyond what I understand about CCRs.

That's quite the low bar as well. Most of what's been posited has been greatly exaggerated for the forwarding of his own agenda.

That's a pretty low bar for safety!

Empirical nonetheless.

That's quite the low bar as well. Most of what's been posited has been greatly exaggerated for the forwarding of his own agenda.

I have no agenda and no conflict of interest.

I don't sell rebreather or rebreather parts and I am not nor ever intend to be in the rebreather business or the diving business.

I don't receive sponsorships or benefits-in-kind from any person in the rebreather industry or the diving industry.

I don't get points or awards or grants for publishing research for or against rebreathers.

No agenda. No conflicts of interest.

Just an end-user.

Not the end for sure, but we surely know enough to stop making outrageous claims about rebreather divers being test pilots and referring to them as 'death machines' or similar.

Yeah, but those are schoolyard taunts. Seriously, it we want to have a reasonable discussion about real risks and benefits, and the nature of the underlying data problem, we shouldn't be using those terms. I never have (here or anywhere), so if you are in a discussion with me, don't assume that I am.

It's exhausting to read the "research" as those who are motivated to perform it have an axe to grind and are biased one way or another. You can read papers like the one cited here decrying machines or you can read the propaganda that Add Helium posts frequently touting all of the amazing things a rebreather can do. The truth lies in the gray area.

While I don't know much about rebreathers, I do know something about the difference between a peer reviewed paper in a medical journal and a post on an Internet forum. So for you to just put these two in the same category really does a disservice to researchers who are trying to do good science. If you have specific information why you think that or any other peer reviewed research paper should be ignored, that's fine, present your case. But using a word like "decrying" means to me that you think that this paper is just a propaganda piece, a smear by someone with a vested interest (in what? promoting open circuit diving?), and the burden of proof would be upon you.

Remember, just because you don't like the conclusion of a paper, it doesn't mean that it is wrong. Over 20 years I have changed a LOT of my medical practice based on new information, discarding assumptions that were held for decades. That's good. That's progress.

"The truth lies in the grey area" is the battle cry of false equivalence. The truth is this - we only know as much of the truth in any field as we uncover with unbiased science, approached without preconceived notions or blind appeal to authority.

I also developed an inhale side CO2 monitor specific for my rebreather and an entrepreneur has taken my research and experience and has added some of his and there is now a Patent Application pending (he intends to roll out the inhale CO2 monitor as a plug-and-play kit for many rebreathers).

I have no agenda and no conflict of interest.

I don't sell rebreather or rebreather parts and I am not nor ever intend to be in the rebreather business or the diving business.

I don't receive sponsorships or benefits-in-kind from any person in the rebreather industry or the diving industry.

I don't get points or awards or grants for publishing research for or against rebreathers.

No agenda. No conflicts of interest.

Just an end-user.

Seems you have some skin in the game. The more dangerous the rebreather is seen to be the more demand there may be for your tec. While I'd love to have live CO2 monitoring in my loop, I'll not go so far as to claim people shouldn't dive a rebreather until they have it.

I've yet to chase out why you continue to cite EU standards for eCCR, or why it should matter, but there seems to be meat there as well inre: your bias and agenda.

Seems you have some skin in the game. The more dangerous the rebreather is seen to be the more demand there may be for your tec. While I'd love to have live CO2 monitoring in my loop, I'll not go so far as to claim people shouldn't dive a rebreather until they have it.

I've yet to chase out why you continue to cite EU standards for eCCR, or why it should matter, but there seems to be meat there as well inre: your bias and agenda.

The skin is my skin.

I dive purely as a hobby and for fun and I got 3 kids and a wife I want to go back to.

My 11 year old waits for me at home to come back from a cave dive to play ping-pong, soccer, "bocce" (whatever it is called English), shoot rifle... after doing homeworks with Mom most of the day.

I got skin in the game!

As to the CO2 monitors, manufacturers cannot supply one off the shelf which is reliable. So, I went and built one specific to my rebreather. For my use, my skin. No agenda or interest. I claim no royalties or fame or credit or patents...

As to standards, they are important.

EN14143:2003 is the Checklist which the manufacturer should follow. They don't, and they still sell you product as it did meet EN14143:2003 - when it does not (and they don't tell you it does not).

Now, why is this important... it is important because a rebreather is not a bicycle. A rebreather is "life-support" and man or female, educated or uneducated, pro or beginner, deep or shallow... - you can go unconscious and drown at any time and at any depth. This is indeed the pattern in the fatalities.

If the standard says "the rebreather shall be yellow" and it is instead green - I can care or less because it is immaterial to my safety (my skin, remember?).

If the standard says the rebreather shall have Functional Safety (i.e. be at least SIL 1 or better) - then because it is "life-support" and I can go unconscious and drown that is important to me.

Would you knowingly get on an airplane if you knew it did not meet the "Functional Safety" its applicable international standard says it is required to meet?

I'd take the next flight.

Why should a rebreather be any different?

Last edited:
I dive purely as a hobby and for fun and I got 3 kids and a wife I want to go back to...

Would you allow any of your children to dive a commercially marketed, current state of technology rebreather? I'm looking for a completely unconditional, binary, yes/no answer.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
It's exhausting to read the "research" as those who are motivated to perform it have an axe to grind and are biased one way or another. You can read papers like the one cited here decrying machines or you can read the propaganda that Add Helium posts frequently touting all of the amazing things a rebreather can do. The truth lies in the gray area.

Hello Mathauck,

I understand many of your comments, truly. But this statement above illustrates how this paper is frequently attributed an agenda it simply does not have (usually, but not in your case, by people with an agenda of their own). Dr Fock is not "decrying" rebreathers as you suggest. He is dispassionately reporting his interpretation of the data. Indeed, Andrew is a passionate rebreather diver and can't dive open circuit any more because he has totally lost his breathing discipline and runs out of gas if he tries open circuit. He would be the last person to suggest you should stop diving your rebreather, and let's be fair, the paper does not say that.

People are seeing this paper through the filter of their own beliefs and biases. Rebreather aficionados see it as an attack on the activity, and rebreather haters see it as ammunition. In fact, the correct interpretation is that it is neither of these. Rebreathers remain a fabulous tool that open up diving opportunities that would be more difficult to "access" on open circuit. This paper gives us some idea of the risk we, as informed divers, must accept in availing ourselves of these advantages. With all its potential for imprecision acknowledged, we are just that little better informed as a result of this paper. I too am a passionate rebreather diver, and the paper doesn't discourage me for one picosecond and you obviously feel the same.

Simon M

Would you allow any of your children to dive a commercially marketed, current state of technology rebreather? I'm looking for a completely unconditional, binary, yes/no answer.

The Dolphin SCR with a simple and dedicated pPO2 Monitor I could see not trying to dissuade them too hard against trying rebreather diving, provided they have gone through all of their PADI training to Advanced and Nitrox and they are older than 30.

Anything else and under any other circumstances, categorically NO (but it is their personal choice in the end).

The Dolphin SCR with a simple and dedicated pPO2 Monitor I could see not trying to dissuade them too hard against trying rebreather diving, provided they have gone through all of their PADI training to Advanced and Nitrox and they are older than 30.

Anything else and under any other circumstances, categorically NO (but it is their personal choice in the end).
Isn't the Dolphin SCR with a PPO2 monitor pretty much the same as the new Hollis Explorer, except the Explorer has a suite of additional safety controls making it even safer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom