Rebreather DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been researching for DIR-F and I cant understand how a rebreather is acceptable and a FFM is not. Both cannot be used like a long hose to share air. If comms in FFMs can improve communications dramatically, does anyone speculate as to whether or not they will be incorporated into DIR in the future?

Thank you.

where did you see that a rebreather is good for DIR-F?

I dont forsee any changes that would incorperate a FFM as a primary mask in DIR any time soon.

Well, it seems odd that Halcyon would develop a product that would conflict with the DIR protocol www.halcyon.net/rebreather/index.shtml
I understand rebreathers have thier place. The message is a little conflicting is all. Thank you.

salty:
where did you see that a rebreather is good for DIR-F?

I dont forsee any changes that would incorperate a FFM as a primary mask in DIR any time soon.

The RB-80 is DIR. Its a tool, just like anything else we use for diving, and it has its place. When diving with a rebreather, you have bailout cylinders as well, and you can donate a reg from those, if you need to.

bmuise:
Well, it seems odd that Halcyon would develop a product that would conflict with the DIR protocol www.halcyon.net/rebreather/index.shtml
I understand rebreathers have thier place. The message is a little conflicting is all. Thank you.

Keep reading GUE has a full out-line of how breathers should be used that is quite indepth. Since Im strictly an OC diver I only have a basic understanding of how the RB80 works and how it should be used.

Basicly GUE states that if a dive can be safely doen with OC it should be. Breathers have their place but only in 10 % of diving.

The FFM *is* DIR - for use with high PPO2 mixes like decompressing on 100% O2, where there's a chance of oxygen toxicity after long exposures and you don't want a oxtox victim losing their regulator should they convulse. WKPP is the only place I've heard of this being used, but it may be in practice elsewhere.

This makes sense...rebreathers are over my head.

Just surrenduring to the protocol is a little harder than I anticipated. Been drawn in by the DIR tractor beam but not without a kick along the way..

Thank you. :spank:

bmuise:
I've been researching for DIR-F and I cant understand how a rebreather is acceptable and a FFM is not. Both cannot be used like a long hose to share air. If comms in FFMs can improve communications dramatically, does anyone speculate as to whether or not they will be incorporated into DIR in the future?

Thank you.

You are only doing a partial analysis, which is inconsistent with DIR positions. FFM's for use as a diving tool brings with it a host of problems, the least of which is donating a long hose. Particularly when you are discussing working at depth, the dead air space in the FFM allows for an unnecessary risk with respect to C02 accumulation..

As for RB's in a DIR-F I'm not al all where you got that one from, but I can assure you that no one will have a RB in my DIR-F class.. RB's do have an application in certain dives, but they require specialized training and are beyond the scope of DIR-F classes.

Hope that helps.

MHK:
Particularly when you are discussing working at depth, the dead air space in the FFM allows for an unnecessary risk with respect to C02 accumulation..
Why don't commerical divers have this problem?

cornfed:
Why don't commerical divers have this problem?

With surface supplied gas you can run a small continuous flow in the mask (or hat) because you don't need to worry so much about gas consumption.

Having hard wire communications is also handy.

Commercial diving is very different from SCUBA sport diving. It is extreamly rare for a commercial diver to need to bailout of his mask or helmet. Backup (bailout) gas is normally supplied to the FFM or helmet by a sideblock manifold. This is great for the working diver but is not so good for sport diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom