Reasons NOT to use Enriched Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should probably post this in the TECH forum but since this thread is red hot and we are totally off the OP, here goes

If the PO2 limits are 1.4 and 1.6, why do tech divers do their Decos at 1.6? Are they just trying to get the maximum O2 as possible to off-gas?

I should probably post this in the TECH forum but since this thread is red hot and we are totally off the OP, here goes

If the PO2 limits are 1.4 and 1.6, why do tech divers do their Decos at 1.6? Are they just trying to get the maximum O2 as possible to off-gas?

In a nutshell, yes.

Sort of/Not quite. The higher the percentage of O2 the less the percentage of nitrogen (inerts) so they breathe the richest mix that is deemed safe to ensure they take in as little inerts as possible. This means there is more of a concentration gradient so nitrogen is eliminated faster from the body. 100% oxygen at 6m means NO inerts are being taken in so is obviously the most efficient for this.

* (unless you believe the oxygen window thing is actually true).

yes and they are presumably resting relatively comfortably at 20 feet.

Surely most responses in this thread are technically out of context in terms of the OP's Question.

It is not fair to bundle the risks associated with diving outside published limits (whichever they are and however they are interpreted) with the negative side (if any) of diving Nitrox.

In order to keep it real;

Assuming that a diver remained within prescribed depth/time limits and was not unusually susceptible to oxygen toxicity and assuming that his equipment was working properly and that the tank was filled correctly and that the Air was analysed by the diver and that there were no freak natural events etc.....

...is there any physiological disadvantage to diving on oxygen enriched air?

Best Regards

Richard (Riger)

Assuming that a diver remained within prescribed depth/time limits and was not unusually susceptible to oxygen toxicity and assuming that his equipment was working properly and that the tank was filled correctly and that the Air was analysed by the diver and that there were no freak natural events etc.....

Best Regards

Richard (Riger)

No.:D

Hello,

I'm fairly new to scuba diving. Started about six weeks ago and have been going nonstop since. This past weekend I finished my Nitrox and Wreck certifications through PADI. I used Nitrox for the whole weekend and thought it was great.

Question: Is there any reason why I should not use Enriched Air for every dive? Is there a reason why I would want to sometimes use AIR opposed to Enriched Air?

From my studys in the Nitrox class it seems ok for me to just stick to Enriched Air whenever I can.

Thanks for your advice... this site is great!

cmk

That was the original post... The question was much broader than physiology.

Just thought of another reason not to use Nitrox... I'm struggling now... It is worse for my car and bike tires, since I am always using left over scuba tanks to fill my tires...I'm sure the truck tires must be up to 28% by now.

No.

Actually an advantage. Safety stops will be more efficient (effectively a weak deco mix)

And you are exposed from 1% to 19% less inert Nitrogen gas (EANx22 - EANx40) while diving under all those assumptions and conditions you listed, which is a physiological advantage.

Surely most responses in this thread are technically out of context in terms of the OP's Question.

It is not fair to bundle the risks associated with diving outside published limits (whichever they are and however they are interpreted) with the negative side (if any) of diving Nitrox.

Best Regards

Richard (Riger)
Well its no fun when you distill out all the controversy! :rofl3: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom