Reason for Taking Fundies

Motivation for taking Fundies

• I have taken Fundies and have substantially adopted the DIR philosophy for most of my diving.

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • I have taken Fundies to be a better diver, not necessarily to be a DIR diver.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • I plan on taking Fundies and substantially adopting the DIR philosophy for most of my diving.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I plan on taking Fundies to be a better diver, not necessarily to be a DIR diver.

Votes: 20 31.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why does UTD not get more press here on SB? I learned about DIR and GUE on SB. UTD is not mentioned nearly as often here as GUE.

The search button for you can answer those questions. Considering that you are in Atlanta, GUE is going to offer you more opportunities.

The search button for you can answer those questions. Considering that you are in Atlanta, GUE is going to offer you more opportunities.

Thanks, but suggesting I search for old threads isn't directly answering my question. I've been following DIR and GUE discussions on SB for the past two years or so, reading with interest. But there isn't nearly as much discussion about UTD. I simply asked why that is. Boulderjohn mentioned that UTD has been his route to DIR, so I thought I might ask whether there is some kind of GUE bias on SB or some other reason why we don't see more discussions about UTD. There's seemingly yet another post reporting someone's experience with Fundies class every other week, but rarely anything about a UTD class.

As for my own training route, I didn't ask for advice on that either, thanks. As a matter of fact, after having my class rescheduled for a few months later, I'm finally scheduled to take GUE Primer next weekend. Yes, GUE makes sense for me since I live in Atlanta.

I don't think there is bias on sb wrt UTD. Maybe a just less vocal crowd.. Dunno.

I've seen only 1 UTD class on the east coast in the past 2 years and have yet to dive with any.

Maybe there are just less of them. Or they use the UTD forums primarily. The GUE forum is pretty sparse in terms of usage as an example.

Thanks, but suggesting I search for old threads isn't directly answering my question.

Your question is off topic and should be asked elsewhere. Any attempt for me to answer is going to hopelessly derail this thread. I tried to give you the simplest answer which while you reject, you've already come to yourself.

I agree that the question of why you don't hear more about UTD is off topic for this thread. I sent Lorenzoid a very long PM explaining my theory about it. If anyone wants a discussion on this topic, I suggest making a new thread in the DIR forum.

Yes, boulderjohn was kind enough to enlighten me. I had misinterpreted his post #25 mentioning UTD as opening the door to the question. I sure wouldn't want a SB thread to veer off-topic.

You have apparently live a very sheltered life.

Not sure what the personal attack was for. You were complaining about this being in Basic Scuba.... well those 99% that don't know what ScubaBoard are solved right there. The other 100% merely have to stick around for a couple days and read a few threads to know what these things are.

BTW, it's funny you use the words "earned your stripes". Divers don't hold "rank" in my view regardless of how many boy scout patches you have.

I met AG around 10-12 years ago when he came out to Millbrook Quarry. Damn good diver. I really don't care about the whole GUE vs UTD thing because it's about as interesting as Catholic vs Protestant and living in Italy vs England.

Not sure what the personal attack was for. You were complaining about this being in Basic Scuba.... well those 99% that don't know what ScubaBoard are solved right there. The other 100% merely have to stick around for a couple days and read a few threads to know what these things are.

BTW, it's funny you use the words "earned your stripes". Divers don't hold "rank" in my view regardless of how many boy scout patches you have.

I met AG around 10-12 years ago when he came out to Millbrook Quarry. Damn good diver. I really don't care about the whole GUE vs UTD thing because it's about as interesting as Catholic vs Protestant and living in Italy vs England.

Nice post. Very much how I take it all in after 40+ years of diving. The newly converted "Tech divers" all decked out in their doubles, maybe side mounts, can lights, working on "trim" and all that. Sometimes this is just at the local mud puddle. I've seen such divers from Edmonds Underwater park to the very benign La Jolla cove in San Diego.

Dress for the dive at hand no need to look like some cumbersome UW astronaut for the local bunny dive.

There was no personal attack--just a light-hearted reference to your implied belief that all divers are regular ScubaBoard readers. As for "earning stripes," it is a figure of speech called a metaphor. Metaphors are not literally true, and the writer assumes the reader will recognize that. Apparently I misjudged. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom